• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shotgunning for 'yotes/Fox

For me fox and coyote hunting has always been done primarily with a shotgun. (I dont own the right rifle yet wink ) So I have been looking around at options for shotgunning dogs.

In the past I have used "Dead Coyote". My stock was givven to me and I never had to buy the stuff. Its long gone now. So I started looking around and doing some price checking. It is not that hard to guess what I will be shooting.

-Dead Coyote 'T' shot (.21cal) 47 pellets per shell- $40.00/box or $4.00/shot. eek

-#4 Buffered Buck (.24cal) 41 pellest per shell- $6.00/box or about $1.20/shot.

At those prices and considering 35-40yard max range I think I will go with the "industry standard" #4 Buck. For $4 per boom I can not even afford to pattern the stuff on paper.

Has anyone used Black Cloud or BlackCloud Snow Goose loads in BB or BBB? Any success and what kind of ranges did you get. This stuff is not cheap either at about $1.35 a shot but I am just looking for more options, especialy if I end up on a WPA.

just pattern your gun with a box of federal premium 4 buck and try a box of Dead Coyote T also i would deffinetly try shooting 4 buck and see how it does if your only shooting 40 yards you dont really need the dead coyote.... just my 2 cents

I saw #4 buck for a .410 had 5-7 pellets. At that I'll buy the slugs. I had been thinking of what to use, 12Ga.w/buckshot, or my -06 with the lightest load I can find. But the more I think about it the I may go with my 410 shotgun and 2 1/2" slugs.

I used a .410 to take a fox when I was 17 and first getting into hunting them. 15yards with a .410 slug. He was napping on a gopher mound in the sun. Lets just say it did the job. When it is all you've got, its your only choice.

I think I have settled on the 3" #4 Buffered Buck in 12ga. With any luck I will be using .223 next season, but untill then...

a shotgunning we will go, call in hand. Foxes and 'yotes a running grin

I read somewhere that the reduced recoil loads for the bigger deer calibers work well for varmits. Lighter bullets and less velosity, not as much pelt damage.

How are these rounds priced compared to say a .223?

I'm going to have to investigate the metal jacket thing and the reduced recoil option. I hate having to buy a rifle for yotes when I have a gun I KNOW inside and out.

Jignjim, if memory serves me correctly the 55 grain was call the "accelerator" or something similar to that. I heard (rumored) it was outlawed because law enforcement couldn't get rifling off of those bullets. They were some hot little loads.

Jigginjim and da_chise, for the 30-06, there is another alternative. The military has an insert that allows the use of .308 rounds in a 30-06. I've recently moved and everythings in a disarray, but I'll try to locate the one I have. It is inserted into the chamber of the '06 on the front of a .308 round, then fireformed and held in place by friction. It's NOT recommended for use in a semi-auto just bolt actions, and I'd suppose singles (If anyone has one of those). When not needed, a removal tool is supplied with the insert and you're back to the '06. Phred52