• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We have fishable ice Aitkin Co.

palisade1kid

Chris and I went out checking ice after the Aitkin Fish House parade.....the parade was a ton of fun.

Greg Clusiau,Jason Green,Blake Leind ,Chris Barlage along with my kids were in attendence.

2010-2011promoonice003.jpg

154993_163562400349880_100000883628080_2

We won won the loudest float catagorie...LOL...with 3 Strike Master Solos blarring away it was no wonder.

On Sunday Chris and I were on a mission to shoot some video and pictures of catching fish.

2010-2011promoonice028.jpg

We manage to do just that.

Here's some of what I was able to capture although all fish were released to be caught another day.

I should mention that Chris had his work cut out for himself.

They were finicky and they really needed some finese tactics applied which Chris did as a seasoned pro!

2010-2011promoonice011.jpg

2010-2011promoonice045.jpg

2010-2011promoonice044.jpg

With only about 4 hours to fish Chris was on a tear.

Some were caught dead sticking and others climbed up to 5 feet from where they came in at close to the bottom to hit THE Jig in a 100th oz size.

With the tough bite it could have been easy for most fishers to become conditioned to not seperating much,but not Chris. Many would barely lift to just sniff,so when that happened Chris said this one is interested and pulled away several cranks forcing that crappie to give chase if it wanted that easy meal.

There were even gills in the mix....nice to see a multi species day.

2010-2011promoonice041.jpg

As with all the fish they were released...

Nice job Chris and I'm looking forward to subsequent shoots!

2010-2011promoonice048.jpg

uhh that isnt think enough for my taste

We did follow the shore and since it was wind blown the ice was a bit thicker in around 3-4 inches.They were other lakes that we checked that had less ice and 1 that had a guy go swimming...good he had a buddy to pull him out.

As always I'd never ever go out without backup support and a rope this early.

Man that was a very fun day. Those fish really needed to be worked but once I drilled a few holes and found the ones more willing to bite it was game on. Thanks keith for shooting all the video, it turned out great.

The ice we were on was good to suport us but we did find some not so good ice, so be careful out there and use the buddy system. Dont go out alone.

Thanks for the report keith, To everyone Keith has been a member here for a long long time, He reports are always entertaining with a bunch of information, He knows his lakes very good and like he said never fish's alone. Keep them coming Keith.

Looks like a blast. I'm sure anyone who is going out right now knows the risks associated with it and takes the necessary precautions make it as safe as possible.

To all who are fishing right now, good luck and I'll see you out there in a few days.

I've been hitting early ice for 40 years and my Dad taught me what to look for and how to go about it. You most certainly don't just walk out like that guy that went swimming did.

Geeze thanks Machohorn....I'm glad you feel that way.

Chip Leer was saying the very same thing this last weekend.It kinda makes a guy want to work even harder.

Ozzie is so right....but there are risks...you just have to take some precautions until you prove out an area....and you have to know what to do if you do go through.Artic Armor is one of my safe guards...a rope,picks and a keen awareness of springs or current...not to mention a back up support bubby.

Ya dun good Chris... eek

nothing wrong with your hookset, to each his own. its just always worked for me after 40 years of ice fishing, and thats with spring bobbers. just kinda tough to do in a flipover. panfish not lakers. i don't think you need to put 40lbs of pull on a 1/2 lb . fish thats all. definatly not something to lose sleep over 2c