• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

UND vs UND

cbrooks

I just want to get this off my chest after watching these two teams play each other this weekend. Whats the difference in nicknames between the university of Notre Dame and the University of North Dakota? One nickname has to go even though they are basically the same thing, The fighting so and so. Should I be offended being an Irish Catholic? I'm just saying.

Today was UND deadline to reverse the school board decision on the nickname change. The U had to get a vote from the Spirit lake reservation and Standing rock reservation. They got the support from Spirit lake but Standing rock wasn't able to get a vote together in time. Personally I think that reservation has bigger problems to worry about than a school's nickname. So offically the nickname will be done with this coming Apirl.

I saw that on the front page of yahoo a few weeks back. It also said all apparel had to be sold by october 2011 or something and that all non architectual Sioux Logos had to be removed from the Ralph.

2 things. I think it is absolutely terrible that UND will change their name and go against what Ralph had wanted for the team and his arena. I think it sucks that they can play in that arena if they take down the logos, change names etc. I wonder where UND Hockey would even be without all the money that Ralph dumped into the program. He said he only wanted the UND fighting Sioux to play there, not another name....That said I am sure that he wouldnt really want the team kicked out either. Obviously they will play there, and everyone wants them to. But it just seems unfair to man who built it all.

Secondly, YOu have a great point Brooks, that I am sure everyone has thought of. Fighting Irish, Blue Devils, even being a Pioneer can be offensive to many. I am so tired of the majority suffering because of the minority. Obviously it goes far beyond college sports. It drives me insane. I dont see why in the world UND needs any ones permission. Maybe I am jsut a grumpy old conservative.

Exactly what I mean. Nickname doesn't mean alot to me(although I do think the original blackhead logo was the best darn looking logo in all team sports). I'm still a fan. I just don't like the double standards. maybe that isn't the right word I'm looking for. Well you guys get it. I can't believe even Gopher fans will miss the nickname.

Yeah, I'll miss it too. "Flickertails" just doesn't seem right for the Goons in Green:)

In genreal I agree with you guys. The only counterpoints I see are: 1) UND has some public funding vs all those professional sports teams (Braves, Redskins, Blackhawks, Indians). 2) I think most of the universities with native american nicknames have agreements in place or sought permission first. That kinda turns it into a positive pride thing, instead of some people's resentment.

2) I think most of the universities with native american nicknames have agreements in place or sought permission first. That kinda turns it into a positive pride thing, instead of some people's resentment.

They got permission if the price was right. Thats how I understand Florida state got there permission. I don't buy the whole pride thing myself. The Seminoles is a franchise and its no different than when Mr Engelstad decided to buy himself a hockey team by building a hockey arena. The University sold there team and the Seminoles sold there identy...Whats the difference.

No difference.

I hope UND stops handing out scholarships by the dozen to the state tribes too. Well I guess that might look bad. But what else can you do. You always want to retaliate somehow.

I think it is all greed, and UND couldnt sweeten the pot enough.

I understand where your coming from. I don't think this would be such big deal to the U if it wasn't for REA. Now they have to figured out what to do with all the logos. I remember Foss posting awhile back about the alumni buying them but I don't know how well that will work. I remember Ralph had to stepulations the nickname and liquior sales. Atleast there's still liquior in there.

Atleast there's still liquior in there.

Another reason to hate the Sioux! The last time I was at the The Ralph I spent some time in one of the bars and hated every minute of it.

This whole "dry campus" [PoorWordUsage] at the U is just passing up huge $$$ that the fan are more than willing to "donate".

This goes way beyond one name of a town's nickname in North Dakota....Then I guess we'll have to change the name of every indian (if I can even use that word anymore I am not sure either?) thing named. There should be no more Hiawatha Ave in Minneapolis, and Chippewa Falls WI, better start looking for a new town name and so forth. Where does it end?

By the way I am going to have to miss the UMD Bulldogs/Sioux game in Duluth this year because they sold out tickets in a few minutes this morning. I couldn't get through on the phone fast enough...Really, really bumped since I go every year. Living near Duluth and growing up just north of Grand Forks its one of my favorite things I look forward to each year. I was going to go to the Ralph just to see the match-up but that was deer hunting opener. UGH!!!!! mad

As tickets at Amsoil Arena in Duluth. The inaugural Dec 30th game was pretty much sold out before single game tickets went on sale yesterday. I believe season ticket holders had the ability to order extra tickets. And they ordered a lot of them. If you really wanted to go, I'm sure some of these will pop up on the two auction/online selling sites soon (for a premium of course).

I bought tickets for our whole fam to the Saturday Badger series (still available). And I bought a pair of tickets to each of the Gopher games as well (this sold out in under an hour too). Not sure if the wife and I will go to either of those games, but they won't be hard to sell if we stay home. I'm pumped too!