• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on Pike regulations (40"+)

Jack Peterson

The 40 inch lakes are Trophy managed lakes, the 24-36 are managed in that way to increase the average size fish; its not a Trophy reg. If the water has the ability to grow 40+ inch fish I don't see the reason for not agreeing with the reg, I'll hug that tree all day long.

I also don't agree that fish under 24 are useless, anything over 20 can be cut into fillets or pickled.

If we had a quality Pike fishery with a few Trophy destinations everyone could have great fishing and better fishing for all species, Hammer Handles are a huge issue in part due to people thinking they need to eat all the 26-30 inch fish.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pike regulations are an experiment, and they should be voluntary. If there are enough people wanting them, then the outcome will be fine. I've never had a problem getting larger northerns, but sometimes it's hard to get a meal when you can only keep the twentyfour inch and smaller ones. My choice of fish to eat is northern, once in Alaska we ate fresh halibut with northerns, and both were great.

With the normal regulations of one over thirty, and just two others smaller pike, there is no reason for any other regulations unless, there becomes some problem. This should make everyone happy. I've been fishing and spearing for fiftyfive years or so, and this should leave enough pike for everyone.

I personally love catching pike, but it's all CPR. I would rather be on a lake with lots of 30"+ fish over a lake with a ton of <20" snakes. Unfortunately for me, there aren't a lot of lakes in my area with regs to give me those chances. One within a 30 minute drive that has a 24-36 slot, and that's the lake I'll go to if I want to chase big uns.

Spike is just angry that he cant have his way all the time and that others want different things out of our resources. The number of slot lakes is tiny compared to those that have the standard one over 30 regulation so I personally have no sympathy.

It's all good Spike.

Some feel the current harvest rate of just over 3 lbs of northern pike per angler per year in Minnesota is indeed over harvest.

Some want total unrestricted harvest.

Some don't want any harvest at all.

Heck I talked to a guy the other day that said we should outlaw bullets and only allow tranquilizer darts in guns so we could then eliminate harvest of big game in Minnesota.

Everyone has an opinion, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to express it.

Heck I talked to a guy the other day that said we should outlaw bullets and only allow tranquilizer darts in guns so we could then eliminate harvest of big game in Minnesota.

I think your reaching with that one grin but I agree... everyone is entitle to there opinion.

I think your reaching with that one grin but I agree... everyone is entitle to there opinion.

And three years ago I would have accused myself of reaching if I would have said that fellow sportsmen would be successful at shutting down an entire catch and release season on a species.

And yet that is where we are at.

There are many ways to acomplish the same goals.

get more CO's in the field to punish the crooks instead of making more laws that only the good guys follow.

Save the big northerns that are winterkilled every year.

Improve water quality and habitat.

Those are the things we as sportsmen should be working together for.

Instead we choose infighting.

Crazy times indeed.

Could you work with them?

I could if the were interested.

I have years of emails that show they're not quite ready yet.

But just like any bureaucracy, Keep banging your head against the wall and sooner or later it will move

But just like any bureaucracy, Keep banging your head against the wall and sooner or later it will move

Keep at it Merk. I think working with the DNR is the key to bringing sportsmen together. It can/will benefit everyone I do believe smile

The neighbor kids can't even catch eater panfish off of the dock anymore. All the panfish are the size of a silver dollar.

Studies have shown that panfish do not make up a large % of northern pike diet, and that when they only have panfish to eat, when given the choice between a large or a small meal, they choose the smaller panfish to eat.

I'd say if the neighbor kids can't catch eater sunfish off the dock anymore, it's because they were catching eater sunfish too much in the past.

If a lake has and supports large northern pike in the mid 30s and bigger, I don't think it would be a bad idea to at least open up harvest for fish under 24'' or 25''.

I could if the were interested.

I have years of emails that show they're not quite ready yet.

Anglers for Habitat is always looking for new members Merk. We're meeting April 2nd if you're interested in working towards better fisheries habitat. It's made up of people from every fishing group except spearers. We'd love to have you.

http://www.anglersforhabitat.com/

Anglers for Habitat is always looking for new members Merk. We're meeting April 2nd if you're interested in working towards better fisheries habitat. It's made up of people from every fishing group except spearers. We'd love to have you.

http://www.anglersforhabitat.com/

Is that the one with Vern Wagner who testifies in the legislature against darkhouse spearers?

If so I will take a pass on the offer.

But thanks for thinking of me.

So.... because you don't believe in the actions of one of the members you won't join the group? This group does a lot of really good things for all species of fish.

I think your last post sums you up pretty well.

I'm in it too so does that mean it's not a worthwhile venture? Shouldn't the large issues that affect everyone be the glue to get people together? I thought you were all about educating people? Maybe if people could start seeing other spearers besides the usual suspects people may start coming around. Just a thought.

Through the years, the northerns that I have cleaned, and checked had mostly crappies in them. Next it was sunfish, then crayfish, then suckers, then perch, then bass, then pike. These were very good panfish lakes. If forty inch fish were readily available, the slot would probably go to fifty. Every fish is a trophy, and they don't have to be huge.

These were very good panfish lakes.

Spike, I'm assuming by this sentence that they are no longer very good panfish lakes? How has the pike population changed (if at all) over that time? Numbers, size, etc.?

Aaron

They are still good panfish lakes, but sometimes harder to find. The northerns will eat what's available, is what I meant. I'm against slots unless the lakes fish population is in jeopardy. If the lakes can't reproduce on their own, then close them until they do. Every lake is a little different, and with slot limits, less people fish ,and spear those lakes, so they won't know the real reason there might be more fish.

Spike, take out the slot then you loose the mid/upper class pike and then you will see panfish sizes getting smaller and smaller, as for the spawning, some lakes spawn to well and the bigger fish in that systems been taken out or at least a high percentage of them have and people harvest them as soon as they get in that upper 20"+ range leaving more small fish to spawn and fewer big ones. A quality pike lake needs those 30+ and up fish to be a total healthy fishery for all species. Without a means in place to protect them they will be gone in a short time.

Every lake is a little different, and with slot limits, less people fish ,and spear those lakes, so they won't know the real reason there might be more fish.

I disagree with you on the fishing aspect. If I'm going out fishing specifically to target pike, I'd prefer going to go to a lake with regs on it. The chances of catching numerous 'quality' fish is better, and keeping them isn't an issue. I also realize that not all fisherman have the same outlook as I do, but most guys I fish with love catching big pike, and don't keep any.