Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
ESmith

GSP getting sore area on chest during hunting

Anyone else have this issue? Wondering if its common, or something to treat, or just something to let go until after hunting season.

Basically the entire sternum area of Tango has no hair, and has a quarter sized area that has been more of an open sore that we have been treating with some salve the vet gave us. He used to chase a ball in an alfalfa field and of course we hunt in switchgrass where we are. So just wondering if this happens to a lot of dogs, and what the longterm effects are if any. Will his hair come back eventually?

Are you using a vest or chest protector? I had the same thing happen early this year while mine was wearing a chest protector. I don't put it on her anymore and haven't had a problem.

if your using a chest gaurd make sure its tight and if your not using one... well start.

its more than likely getting raw because your dog isnt out in the field enough. (I dont say that to mean you dont hunt enough) more along the lines that its just getting raw because its not use to the abuse. Its fine and normal, and the skin will get tougher over time.

its more than likely getting raw because your dog isnt out in the field enough. (I dont say that to mean you dont hunt enough) more along the lines that its just getting raw because its not use to the abuse. Its fine and normal, and the skin will get tougher over time.

I agree. Plus is this a pup? like in the avatar.? Pups need time to grow good hair in some areas of the belly area too. If your dog just does not grow much hair there you will want to use a vest some as said and get them conditioned earlier in the year.

Hey Guys, well a pup yes and no. Not like in the avatar, same dog, but he's about a year and a half old now. Full grown, but mentally a puppy.

This area on his chest has looked similar for the past 4 or 5 months now. I could see his method of "run full speed until the last five feet from the ball, then come to a sliding stop while crouching down" being the cause of the area becoming sore. But surely by now it would toughen up and maybe regrow some hair I thought.

The Vet didn't seem overly cautious when we took him in 6 weeks ago, but it didn't get any better after the ointment the vet gave us.

Like has been suggested get a "skid plate" for him. Make sure it is fitted tight though because if it is loose then it will rub in places and also could get tangled up in legs.

At the end of the day the area around my dogs eyes and nose are raw. I typically put some ointment on that to make sure it doesnt pose too many problems.

When I see his balls at the end of the day, it makes me cringe!!! I wish there was a skid plate for that!

When I see his balls at the end of the day, it makes me cringe!!! I wish there was a skid plate for that!

HAHAHAHAHA...Funny because it's true!!!

Like has been suggested get a "skid plate" for him. Make sure it is fitted tight though because if it is loose then it will rub in places and also could get tangled up in legs.

At the end of the day the area around my dogs eyes and nose are raw. I typically put some ointment on that to make sure it doesnt pose too many problems.

Yeah I got a skid plate vest for him, but Tango is a tough size. His chest seems to be disproportionately large compared to the rest of him. The vest is at the sewing shop getting the straps lengthened a little. One size up though and the rest of the vest hangs all over him. Guess he's got powerful lungs...

Thanks for the info though guys. Much appreciated.

Yeah I got a skid plate vest for him, but Tango is a tough size. His chest seems to be disproportionately large compared to the rest of him. The vest is at the sewing shop getting the straps lengthened a little. One size up though and the rest of the vest hangs all over him. Guess he's got powerful lungs...

Thanks for the info though guys. Much appreciated.

Shorthairs have such a slender area in the back with the broad chest makes it very difficult to fit. I have the same problem with my dog too, but the skidplate fits better than others I have tried.