• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is a 4 X 2 worth it?

Hammy

I am looking to buy a used machine for light work around the cabin and ice fishing.

Budget's tight and wondering if 2x with chains in the winter might get me buy without too much frustration for the next couple years and then, after some experience and a couple more dollars in the bank, I'll invest in a new(er) 4X.

Any thoughts or things to consider. I'm not interested in brand preference, I'm more interested in avoiding any red flag, rookie mistakes.

Thanks!

I would not be worried about buying a 2wd thats all my dad used for years tell i let him use my 4 wd wheeler over the winter. If there is any amount of snowmobile traffic on the lake you fish you should be able to get any where you want if you follow there tracks i do that now when its to deep to blaze my own path.

If you get one, as stated; chains are a must. Make sure to get the V-bar chains, as the regular ones can get lost in deep treads. Also be sure that you get them on tight and tie off the loose ends. An easy way to mount the chains is to remove the tires and deflate the tires. After you get the chains on as tight as possible, inflate the tires and mount them back on the machine. Then roll it back and forth a full rotation by hand, checking for clearance between the chains and frame/body. An easy way to gain a bit of extra clearence on some ATVs is to swap the tires to the other side and flip them around so the valve stem is on the inside. The tread is still rotational (if that matters on your tires), but they are a pain to check/fill with air.

Hammy I went two wheel drive for many years till I got a 4 wheel drive bike .Sure 2 wheel drive has some limitations as do the 4 wheel ones, and you will learn quick either way what they are and in fact likely will get yourself in less situations with the 2 wheel drive because of it .I reccommend a winch .

TD

Yes, I would agree, 2wd will get you around fine with Chains, as long as you stay on the hard pack or not to deep. I did this for years on my 3 wheeler and got just about everywhere my buddies on there 4 wheelers went, even a few more spots.

If there is a lot of snow, snowmobile will be your best option then.

I have a 92 yami moto 4 350 2x4 with v-chains. I've only been stuck once and all I had to do is lift up the back, move it over , and I was on my way. A lighter machine can be a blessing at times. I don't think you'll regret having a 2wd machine. It's easier than walking. When I was younger I made a set of skis that went on the front of my wheeler and I went more places than any 4wd even dared.

CC's won't matter for what you are using it for other than physical size of the wheeler. You will run out of traction far before you run out of power on most any wheeler.

For what its worth, I don't like 2WD in the winter. On hard pack you will probably be OK, but just don't break through the crust. You are more limited on places you can fish with a 2WD

If you get one, as stated; chains are a must. Make sure to get the V-bar chains, as the regular ones can get lost in deep treads. Also be sure that you get them on tight and tie off the loose ends. An easy way to mount the chains is to remove the tires and deflate the tires. After you get the chains on as tight as possible, inflate the tires and mount them back on the machine. Then roll it back and forth a full rotation by hand, checking for clearance between the chains and frame/body. An easy way to gain a bit of extra clearence on some ATVs is to swap the tires to the other side and flip them around so the valve stem is on the inside. The tread is still rotational (if that matters on your tires), but they are a pain to check/fill with air.

I used a Polaris 2WD 250cc for years with chains and it was better than walking out.

If you follow the install instructions above you'll do just fine, I also used to throw a couple of bungee cords on the rim sides of the chains to keep them from coming off / coming loose

i have a 250 Honda Recon. with chains on it i have no problem pulling a portable out. I have had it stuck a few times, but it is lite enought to pick up and move if you need to. After there is more than a few inches of snow on the lake i switch to a snowmobile.