• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Many deer are really registered????

I can see the DNR'S resoning behind the online registry, but really how many people that hunt multiple seasons Archery, rifle, and Smokepole, really register there deer, or the sex of the deer????? Like I said I see there point ----online = easy, yep too easy I can guarentee there #'s will be way off again this year, I have heard of #'s of deer that will not be registered this year because of neglect on our goverments part.. NICE TRY

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know how many deer go untagged, let alone unregistered. A lot of people do their own processing and work the system. I am not saying majority of hunters do this, but I would be willing to bet there are more than you think.

It comes down to ethics and honesty, and I don't think it matters either way because the ethical people will use the online system and the others wouldn't have registered their deer anyways.

I personally like the online system as it is quick, easy and convienient. How many times have you stopped at the convienence store and the 17 yr old behind the counter didn't even get out to confirm your deer?

How many times have you stopped at the convienence store and the 17 yr old behind the counter didn't even get out to confirm your deer?

Thank you thats my point, in 28 years I have never been checked in the field nor at the station, could have had a moose in the bed of the truck and no one would have ever known the difference...

I have to agree there numbers are all fudge, they have no way in knowing the true number of deer taken, it's all speculation based on a poor registration process, insurrence company opposition, and then some how we have the Horn no, I mean trophy, APR or QDM people that think every one wants to shoot a BIG MONSTER POUND YOUR CHEST AT LUNCH ON MONDAY BUCK..

Like I said I know of more deer that have not been registered yet ( there seems to be no time frame) than deer that have...

...Like I said I know of more deer that have not been registered yet ( there seems to be no time frame) than deer that have...

Please let your local CO know about them. We have too few CO's and they could use all the help they can get. If you are not familiar with the time frame we have to register deer please refer to page 71. We have till 24 hours after the season in which the deer was taken, or before the deer is butchered.

Have you seen the thread that Lou Cornicelli posted on here. It was registration numbers and they were almost identical to last year year, therefore, unless the number of deer shot were much greater this year it is the same amount of people as before that are not registering their deer.

Todd, If you have personal knowledge of people who did not register their deer, turn them in. Don't come in here and blast the DNR because people you know broke the law. Turn them in and take the TIP money the DNR has to offer.

Iowa started registering their deer 4 years ago online and by phone. Before that, they sent out post cards to either all or a select number of hunters to get their deer hunt numbers.

Maybe Minnesota should make everyone come to the regional offices to register their deer then? The convenience store owners don't get paid by the dnr to have their employee's check deer. The store owners have to pay the state for that honor and they also have to have a second phone line dedicated to the dnr system.

It is all about the honor system. If you want to break the law and shoot extra deer you probably can. The chances of you getting away with it are 99.999%. Guys in my area have forgot to register their deer, but never took over their tags. It is all about sportsmanship and protecting a sport you care about. If you have any sense at all you will want to stay with in your legal limit and register your deer, to ensure you will have deer to shoot in the future.

Quote:
have heard of #'s of deer that will not be registered this year because of neglect on our goverments part..

I'm curious about what you are implying by this statement. What neglect are you talking about and what are the implications of that neglect?

The purpose of registration is to gather harvest data. This data is used in conjunction with other field data to evaluate the state of the deer herd. This information is then used to determine what to do with regard to licensing. Should area A be classified as lottery, management, intense,....? Need to know the status of the herd in order to make that determination.

If we don't register our deer, we only cut our own throat.

My guess it more deer will be registered with the new method. It's a pain to come home late from a hunt and then drive to a registration station, wait in line, tie ont he slip and then take care of hanging the deer etc. Last year I drove 15 miles to register a bow kill and the people at the place didn't know how to register it. They sent me 10 miles to another station. I'm 100 percent for the on-line registration. I believe it will be more effective than the old way. They should take advantave of it's ease of use, and ask additional questions such as number of deer and sex seen, hunting methods, etc.

I think the new system is great.

There have always been those who did not register thier deer so if some do not now, nothing changes.

For the 10 years I registered deer, either myself or my wife did it while I was out hunting. Every deer was checked. I do know that many do not look at the deer carcass to see if it was a doe or a buck. That we can blame on the hunter and not the DNR as it has always happened and always will.

Deer are also poached and we will never know that number.

At least with the system in place, we can see from year to year what the harvest has done in regards to bucks versus does etc for the honest people.

I would bet that 90% of the deer are registered. I am sure the DNR has a number figured in for those who will not.

In some states like North Dakota, there is no registration. They seem to manage thier deer herd just fine too.

There's quite a bit of it going on, unfortunately, lets say geese, how many guys on the phone tell their buddy, oh can't go tomorrow, got my possession limit filled ? fishing, can't go because I could only take 1 eye as that 1 would fill my possession limit. With party hunting for deer, if we have 1 tag we're good to go,all of us. If a person realizes if I tag that deer meaning couldn't find someone else to tag it, what do you mean I'm done deer hunting for the year, the season is still open so don't tag it, don't register it and I can still legally hunt by doing an illegal thing that the cover of darkness is sure to hide, I'm just glad in my main area the guys hunting there do everything by the book from North South East and West, I commend them!

I can see the DNR'S resoning behind the online registry, but really how many people that hunt multiple seasons Archery, rifle, and Smokepole, really register there deer, or the sex of the deer????? Like I said I see there point ----online = easy, yep too easy I can guarentee there #'s will be way off again this year, I have heard of #'s of deer that will not be registered this year because of neglect on our goverments part.. NICE TRY

The new call in system may not be perfect but how else should the DNR do it.

For the years I registered deer, people would come to my place at 6am and continue until 10pm. Then others called and wanted to know if they could come sooner or later than that.

Now, one has to remember that we were paid I believe .25 for each deer. For 200 derr, thats $50.00 for the added hassle. I did it for the hunters in the area but quit as it was nothing more than a hassle.

The gas stations and other shops that do it make next to no money but we want the shop to have thier employee to stop what they are doing and register that deer for almost nothing.

Quite a bit to expect from a business owner. I would guess that is why many businesses will no longer register deer.

The DNR had to come up with something different.

Once I shot a deer with my bow and by the time I got the deer out of the woods, it was around 10pm. Now it is warm so I want to skin the deer and butcher it sooner than later but I cannot find a shop open to register it. Sure would have been nice to call it in.

Agreed Harvey, it really matters not to me, hopefully the cheaters will get what comes around goes around. My biggest ? on here would be after 3 days of muzzleloader hunting 3 different properties with plenty of track, nocturnal deer, the last 5 years have been way down on deer sighted in shooting light, what do you do ? Last night should've been perfect conditions, not a single deer entered the corn field before 5:12 end of shooting light, don't worry I tried the staging area until 5:10, quick walk to the field edge on nothing out, new snow maybe didn't help.

The new system just allows alternatives for those who are already following the rules anyway. I think it is a GREAT system, based on convenience and ease of use. All of the deer our group shot were registered within an hour of being recovered. All done, taken care of.....

I heard some guys at a local sporting goods store talking about how they are going to call in and register all of their bonus permits and tags even if they aren't filled. I assume their reasoning is they are sick of being in a managed or intensive area..... that may be one downfall of the new system.

Quote:
The gas stations and other shops that do it make next to no money but we want the shop to have thier employee to stop what they are doing and register that deer for almost nothing.

I suspect the reason they agree to do this is because it brings in business. While I'm in the store to register my deer I pick up a coffee, bag a chips, ma calls to request a gallon of milk and some eggs,....

Like advertising, getting people into the building is 75% of the battle.

I heard some guys at a local sporting goods store talking about how they are going to call in and register all of their bonus permits and tags even if they aren't filled. I assume their reasoning is they are sick of being in a managed or intensive area..... that may be one downfall of the new system.

I dont get this. For what reason would anyone do that?

I'm not sure.... I just overheard them talking.... my original thought was to show a higher harvest in hopes of eliminating the bonus tags in their areas, BUT the more I think about it, I wonder if it is meant to KEEP it a bonus area... If the DNR uses a deer count to determine amount of tags AND sees a relatively high harvest number on top of a good deer count, wouldn't that lead to keeping it an intensive/managed area??? I can't understand it either, just something I heard that made me think the new registration systems has some flaws.... but all of them are hunter induced so I'm not sure how you can fix that.