• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice rod build ?

I use small pieces of rubber bands doubled up and tied to the blank then slip the guide foor under the bands to hold them in place.

To fill the tunnesl I just hold the rod at a slant and use the brush to dab a little in the tunnels to fill them.

I just got a tip a couple weeks ago. Go to a craft st ore and buy the little cloths clips. They wooked great on the last few rods I did. If you are doing rods with a fine tip you will have to modifiy them a bit by taking them apart and sand down the inside so it will hold the guide on tight.

Things I have done.

Rubber Bands, Twist Ties, and now I use hot glue. In my opinion hot glue works the best, but you can't get to much on or tightening up your wraps is difficult.

As for epoxy. I hold the rod vertical and use a tooth pick or spatula and put some in the tunnel first. Than I will put it on the wrapper.

I use hot glue. But I don't squirt it on with a gun. I heat up the guide foot slightly with a lighter and slide it on the glue stick so it lightly coats the bottom of the foot then stick it onto the blank. Don't worry too much about the alignment until you have the guides fully wrapped, then if you need to adjust them you can break the glue and move them where you need.

I use hot glue. But I don't squirt it on with a gun. I heat up the guide foot slightly with a lighter and slide it on the glue stick so it lightly coats the bottom of the foot then stick it onto the blank. Don't worry too much about the alignment until you have the guides fully wrapped, then if you need to adjust them you can break the glue and move them where you need.

+1

Thanks for the tips guys. I had already used rubber bands before seeing the hot glue trick. I will try this on my next build. The rod I am building is a TB power noodle. Seems like a good rod with a nice light tip. I love catching fish on self assembled rods. Will a wood mini lathe work for turning reel seats? I have turned some wood smooth on it but i am wondering if i need a different type of chuck for it. If any has done or does there own reel seats please let me know. I can give my email if preferred. Thanks

I turn my handles using a mandrel. You can use threaded rod if you can find a way to put a center hole in it. Just drill a hole the size of the mandrel through the wood blank and put on the mandrel. I use a couple of nuts to hold it on the mandrel to keep it from spinning or you can put a bit of masking tape on the mandrel to make the fit a bit tighter(I don't think it it really works that well). I use a drill chuck in the head stock and put the other on the center. That way the hole is always concentric.