• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1996 Chev Lumina/car brake lights?

So I bought this car yesterday for our youngest daughter. Runs great and drives great but I missed the part about the brake lights not coming on. Kinda hard to see back there from the seat. wink

Any way, after pulling the system apart I've found all the fuses are good, bulbs are good, etc. etc. What I did find is the brake lights will work if the turn signals are on but won't if the signal is not on.

What I am wondering is if there is a relay, module, or anything that links the two circuits together somewhere in the system or if I'm destined to trace out the entire harness to find a shorted out section.

I'm hoping to find a plug and play part to change. Any typical parts come to mind for anyone?

I'll keep searching for a schematic,but I'm chiecking for some experience with this type of problem.

Thanks in advance.

You have justr described the classic symptom of a bad turn signal switch. Since the brake and turn signals are on the same bulb the switch decides if the brake light power is sent to the bulbs or if turn signal power is sent to the bulbs. Wiggleing the switch or playing with the hazzard buttom will usually get them to intermittently turn on.

If the third brake light works than replace the turn signal switch.

I've actually fixed a few of these. The problem is that a small tab wears off that holds the moving part of the lever in place on the stationary part. You can drill a tiny hole in the tab and put in a pin to replace the worn tab. this will hold it in properly in place and it works just fine. Its far easier to do in the car than it is to remove the switch too.

How'd ya come up with the handle Macgyver again? wink

I have actually changed out one before but it's been a long time. I believe there's an air bag in the steering wheel. Any risk there? I did buy a Chilton book today.

Ya know, Mcgyver, iffen your daughter was REAL happy with that entertainment center you picked up, maybe I could talk you into showing me that little trick? gringrinwink This car aint gonna last another 14 years any way.

Actually they are real happy with it. Thanks again!

I'd be happy to return the favor! I have a switch here that you can have, or we could try the "fix" on yours if its repairable. (depends if its worn or broke)

You can email me and we can set something up.

gringrin

That was pretty slick. Easy to see you've been there before.

Just a few more quirks to work out and that car should be worth every dime I paid for it. wink

Another upshot was I got the kid to do the dishes tonight without too much complaining.

Thanks again.