• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gps car navigation recommendationd

Huskie

Question

8 answers to this question

C store had Garmin Nuvi's at blowout prices. Check the reviews, and most lean towards Garmin vs. TomTom.

Many great choices now for way under $150. I got a Garmin 1350 for $109 on-line a few days ago. Way more than I need, but it was actually cheaper than the more basic model I originally had picked out.

One issue to keep inconsideration is the size of the screen.

This is not like HDTV, where bigger is better, remember the unit sits in front of the windshield or attached to it most of the times, you don't want a huge view blocker, keep it small.

I use them every day since I haul for a living, I tried many brands and budgets but I decided to stick with the smaller screen, less clutter, and more visibility. They all "talk" to you anyway, you will discover you are listening to the directions more than watching, since you have your eyes stuck on what the people is doing to you when you are at 4:20pm driving on 694 and I35 interchange.... grin

There is a discussion in the computers/electronics forum down below about this subject. I, along with everyone else sided with the Garmin Nuvi. There are multiple sizes, options and prices to choose and most, if not all come with free lifetime updates. You will not be disappointed with any of the Nuvi's.

I do agree with Valv that bigger isn't necessarily better, but with the touch screens the slightly bigger screen makes it easier to type on. I wouldn't go with a tiny one if it were mine but a nice midsize screen is perfect. And you can usually fit it in the corner of the windshield and not cause any visual obstruction.

I received a Garmin last xmas and it is great. I don't know anyone personally that has a TomTom so I couldn't tell you how those are, but I am sure they are a reliable product. I have so many addresses plugged into it so if we are someplace out of town and would like to return to a spot I can save it. It is also nice that you can look for points of interest in a given area. I've heard there are some models that have traffic reports so you don't get stuck in a traffic jam. This time of year you can find huge discounts practically on a weekly basis. You also may want to check online for deals espcially cyber Mondays. You could get free shipping, and you could also drop ship them to another address.