• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

birds

fishinjosh98

From the rules and regulations.

UNPROTECTED BIRDS:

House sparrows, starlings, common pigeons, chukar partridge, quail,

other than northern bobwhite, and monk parakeets are unprotected

and may be taken at any time.

Protected Birds

• All birds for which seasons are established in these regulations are

protected

birds but may be taken as authorized.

• There is no open season on bobwhite quail, swans, hawks, owls,

eagles, herons, bitterns,

cormorants,

loons, grebes, or any other species

of birds except unprotected birds.

I'd strongly advise against it! Not only does state law prohibit doing that, but you would also be in violation of federal law. Blue Jays are covered by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. (Technically, under this act, you cannot even possess a Blue Jay feather.) The most recent revision of this act raised potential penalties for violation of this law to not more than $15,000 or 6 months in prison. (Even worse if you plan on selling the bird.) That's a serious penalty if you happened to get the judge who was an avid birdwatcher. wink

I'd learn to appreciate even the raucous Blue Jay if I were you.

Sure those are downies? Lines of holes sounds like Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.

I'm not sure what the MBTA says about wildlife that is damaging property, but I do know there are a number of products out there for dealing with woodpeckers...though I don't know anything about their effectiveness.

Sure those are downies? Lines of holes sounds like Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.

I'm not sure what the MBTA says about wildlife that is damaging property, but I do know there are a number of products out there for dealing with woodpeckers...though I don't know anything about their effectiveness.

I will have to take a closer look. Both species are similar in appearance.

Do not ever remembering seeing red on the throat. Looking at google images and it appears I need to look at the coloration of the chest feathers. They are in the neighborhood right now frown

They sometimes stick it out if food and cover are available. I had one in January in Itasca County once and my dad in Grand Rapids has a few of them still working his feeders. I think they're frequently seen on Christmas Bird Counts throughout Minnesota.

Also, make sure they're not Eurasian Collared-Doves...a new species to Minnesota which stays all winter. They have a little black collar on the back of the neck, a squared tail, they're slightly larger, and they are paler without the subtle colors Mourning Doves show. In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see them reported all over central Minnesota. They've been seen all over southwest Minnesota, we have a few in Grand Rapids now, and there have been sightings in Duluth as well.

Quote:

The only provision under the MBTA for property damage is to get a depredation permit. But those are normally only issued to organizations like airports (who have to keep bird populations down so they don't get sucked into jet exhausts).