• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Our Season Was Not A Disappointment Thread

Surface Tension

My son and I didn't encounter any illegal activity by other hunters.

Didn't see any "unethical" behavior by other hunters.

We didn't worry if the shots we heard from hunters in the adjacent woods were shooting "our" deer.

We enjoy taking the expensive rifles out and wasting money on shooting targets during Summer and Fall,

Scouting, setting ups stands and then into the woods to take a deer or two.

We could have worked and used that money to buy a 1/4 of beef or side of pig instead of going hunting.

But we didn't and anyone that cares, TOO BAD FOR YOU!

Mind your own business and you won't be minding mine. smile

Did anyone else have a Non Disappointing Deer Season?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am never disappointed when it comes to deer season. Our's of course was an excellent year. I had the usual eight hunters that come up every year and have been for years plus my son and my regular hunting partner. We ended the season with twelve deer between everyone, six bucks and six does. We had the oldest member get a very large eight pointer that he is going to put on the wall. The youngest member getting his first buck, a spike(almost a three pointer as he put it). My bubby getting a large ten pointer and then myself with my personal best ten pointer. We had our usual steak fry on saturday night of opener, cooked lunch in the woods and just enjoyed everyones company. I also enjoyed talking to the guys who hunt in the same area, meeting some new people while out and spending some time looking at new areas after I got my buck. It don't get any better then that.

It bothers every year when I read or hear people talk about how there season was so bad or the complaints of how others have ruined there hunt. Yes I have run into a few that don't have the same passion or attitude as I do when it comes to deer hunting so I just be polite and move on as most of the time they are never to be seen again.

I stiil have this next week off for muzzle loading but will be carring the shot gun as I do not have a tag left. Will be scouting for next year and just enjoying the time in the woods. Just because the season is over doesn't mean the work is done as I am always working on the next years hunt.

skee0025 thanks for starting this thread.

This years deer season was great with one minor dissapointment the loss of a blood trail which is and will always be some part of hunting. My son lost a deer its a sad fact but a lesson learned for us as a hunting party.

All in all great season and waiting for next years to start already.

I had a good year. Spent the most time for me ever hunting. Had some cool wild life experiences, like a chickadee landing on my head, having a doe and fawn walk right under my stand and not know I was there, and seeing a white coated weasel.

Saw the most deer I have ever seen, likely because of the time I spent on stand. Spent time with family hunting some nice bucks on camera that we never saw in daylight. They are still after the big guys. My tags are filled. Took and doe fawn during firearms season and nice doe during muzzle loader.

Can wait until next year!

Quote:
Best part was I had the choice of what I wanted to shoot and not be a criminal!

full-6133-3761-broken_record.jpg

Hey, lets take another great thread and see if we can turn it into yet another debate on QDM and APR. Yeah, that sounds like fun.

I had a good season. Managed to take a doe. The highlight was helping my Dad find his buck the morning after he shot it. He thanks me every time I see him. He is getting old, has a bumb knee, and can't handle the bluffs anymore.

My season ain't over yet. Seeing deer is never a disappointment, and I was lucky enough to have a small doe and tiny fawn at 50 yards last night with the muzzy in hand. Unfortunately all I had was a buck tag in pocket. Still a month or so to go, or a couple more tags in pocket to fill, whatever happens first.

Quote:
...Hey, lets take another great thread and see if we can turn it into yet another debate on QDM and APR. Yeah, that sounds like fun....

fully agree with this sarcasm.

My hunting season was also NOT A DISAPPOINTMENT. I got to spend another year in deer camp hearing the same old stories, making some new ones, laughing til my stomach hurt and enjoying a time honored traditions with family and friends. Some highlights...

*Another deer camp with my Dad.... he isn't that old yet, but you never know when it could be your last... cherish them all

*Met some great new hunters on public land that were a joy to hunt along side of. Respectful, informative, safe and truly grasped the idea of sportsmanship.

*Was able to watch two separate deer for over 30 minutes inside 15 yards. Was a blast to watch a deer in their natural environment for an extended period of time just go about their business.

*Was able to take my 5 year old out again and again we didn't see anything, but after hours on stand, without seeing a thing, he turns to me and says, "Dad, isn't deer hunting sweet or what!".......

*Icing on the cake.... was able to harvest a nice doe, had an opportunity at a buck and everyone I know lived to hunt another day!!

It was a great year. Deer numbers were way down but everyone saw some. A young girl on her first deer hunt got to scare one. grin The oldest hunter (about 85 years old) in our loose group saw his first deer in 2 years. Shot it and got one of the biggest bucks of his lifetime. One guy took his grandson along to sit in his stand with him for the kids first time ever sitting in a deer stand. The kid will never forget it. A buck walks to the stand, around the stand, and away from the stand while Grandpa struggles to get the safty off on the borrowed gun. blush Nobody fell out of a stand or got hurt. Nobody lost a cripple. Some people had great luck, some people had bad luck. It was deer hunting, wasn't it grand! cool

Didn't get a deer for the first time in about 15 years and in no way was this years season a disappointment...didn't even get a shot.

Took my 12 year old for the first time...hunted with him out a ground blind (another first) and between all the hot-chocolate and ham sandwiches, I don't think he could have found time to shoot a deer even if it had presented itself.

He had a great time...we did some still hunting through the woods to keep him interested...and to let every deer within a mile know exactly where we were. By the time our two days in the field were up, he looked like he had entered a mud-wrestling contest...he was covered from head to toe in who knows what.

On our way home he said "can't wait to go again next year dad", and that's when I realized what a successful hunt it had been!

I love hearing the stories about dads taking thier kids into the field with them for the first time.

I have a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old son and cannot wait to share the outdoors with them and show them what so many kids these days will never have the opportunity to experience. I hope to take my daughter with me in the ground blind next fall bowhunting for the first time, she'll be 6 by then.

Oh yeah, our season wasn't a bust, even though we only killed one deer for 4 guys, I carried my bow this year and had to pass a really nice 10 about 20 yards out since I had already tagged a buck this year, (we hunt zone 3)... that was no problem and was cool to witness. Nobody got hurt, spend quality time with my dad, bro in law and father in law...how could that be dissapointing?

I very satisfying year so far. The mild weather made for comfortable time on the stands. Saw quite a few deer. Saw numerous gorgeous sunrises/sunsets. Enjoyed hunting with relatives/friends... Nothing to complain about.

It's been frustrating but not a disappointment. Adventures have been had, lessons learned, and humble pie tasted. My lack of success this year so far is a result of several things coming together, or maybe someone with a voo doo doll playing a joke on me but I'm still at it. If I do finally connect this year it will be a sweet taste I plan to savor. Filling a tag or even being able to hunt should never be taken for granted.

My season was about as non disappointing as they come! Had a few adventures, lots of hardwork and scouting, and my dad and I got a pair of 10 pointers. We experienced the warm weather of 1st weekend, the wet weather of 2nd weekend, and the cold weather of 3rd weekend. Saw some great sunrises and sunsets, and plenty of wildlife including two seperate wolves that crossed under my stand, one stalking a covey of grouse. Yep, I can't think of one single thing I would have changed......

Don't want to burst the thread but bad year here, actually the past 5 seasons have been awful, dad sat through his 20th deerless season with each year going less and less, with the land(s) we have that's horrible, although we both are only waiting on a mature buck and we realize that triples how tough deer hunting is, but we get no sightings, no glimpses and the reason is they are simply shot off as yearlings and or buck fawns, the bachelor herds prove that each summer so it's slim pickins as the neighbors blast away.

I love this thread thanks for posting it! This was my best year in 29 years of deer hunting. My 14 year old daughter went out with me for the first time. I saw about 60 deer, spent about 1000 dollars and never pulled the trigger! lol

I had one particular buck in MN i wanted and the same for WI. I have no regrets because those deer live on for the most part, unhunted territory, and they are young! Next year I won't leave the woods. And next year hopefully my daughter will be next to me with her license and a 243! maybe even my alternate 270 smile

It was a slow start, but the season worked out for me, my brother, and my dad. We were all successful in shooting deer as well as multiple missed opportunities and plenty of time spent in the field.

Anyone complaining about their season and not seeing animals needs to consider hunting other areas. Hunt where the game is, not where it isn't.

About the only time I am disappointed with the deer season is if I fill my tag to early in the season. I have been able to take both my 6 and 12 year old daughters hunting, hunt with friends, hunt out of state, hunt several new properties, dress my own deer and the season is not over. From the first day to the last day I enjoy every aspect of the hunt, even my own failures. That is all part of the experience and what drives me to make the following year better.

My season was about as non disappointing as they come! Had a few adventures, lots of hardwork and scouting, and my dad and I got a pair of 10 pointers. We experienced the warm weather of 1st weekend, the wet weather of 2nd weekend, and the cold weather of 3rd weekend. Saw some great sunrises and sunsets, and plenty of wildlife including two seperate wolves that crossed under my stand, one stalking a covey of grouse. Yep, I can't think of one single thing I would have changed......

Shot the wolf? grinwhistle