• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The 243 is great for deer and varmits lots of diffrent factory bullets for them also. The 270 is a little big for yotes if you want to keep the pelts I have used my 270 in the past for them with 130 grain ballistic tips and not much yote left after you shoot them. Savage makes a great rifle now and i have fell in love with thier accu trigger.

If ammo cost is a consideration and you want to use it for varmits then the .243 would be a good option. I really like the 7mm-08 which gives a wider range of bullet style and weights but the ammo is more expensive.

In either case shoot the heaviest bullet you can if you are shooting in the Minnesota WOODS. The .243 would be my choice with the caveat that you shoot carefully in heavy cover-those light bullets can easily be deflected. For a great many years I carried a 6.5X55 and the number of critters that little rifle dropped has been forgotten. Very close to the .243.

Shoot the .243 carefully and it is all you need for MN and would cost less with milder recoil and noise.

243 and 270 are going to be close in price but the 243 will be a little cheaper. As far as scopes, it depends on your price range. I run with Leupold because they have treated me well and I have no complaints, however, they are a bit spendy.

I would suggest looking at a 25-06 Tikka T3 Very nice guns, light, relatively cheap, and wow are they accurate.

Scope unless your looking to spend 400-1000 I would suggest a Scheels brand. They make a few 4.5x14x44's very clear heck of a warranty and around 250 bucks.

I will not disagree with the Leopuld - especially the Vari-X II III lines. I have been less than impressed with the lower-end Leopuld lines.

For my personal guns, I switched over to the Burris Fullfields, which offer a reliable, bright optic for a very fair price. A 3-9 scope is the most popular as an all-around scope, for a very good reason. You can handle almost anything you are going to be doing with a 3-9, and on a few guns I have actually gone to a 2-7, especially if I am expecting more close in work. Unless you're planning on mostly open-country hunting with longer shots, going to a higher-power variable can be counter-productive.