• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage heater not working

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Question

17 answers to this question

That Model # is a Grainger #...most likely a heil/temstar furnace...they usually list the manufacturers model # on the rating plate as well. Sounds to me like your probly beyond troubleshooting online, unless you know how to operate a volt meter. If you Jumper between R & W on the furnace..that would bypass the thermostat circuit entirely. You would have to trace the thermostat wire back to where they are connected on the furnace..should have a little terminal strip with different terminals marked r,w,y,g...

Is this a 24v system or millivolt if it is 24v do you have the power on to the unit. check your disconnect switch on the unit and breaker in your pannel. the pilot will light and stay on without power to the transformer. check for any manual reset limit switches that could have tripped these are high temperature safty's if that is the case consult an hvac tech to insure that the problem of the tripping safteys is taken care of. limits are there for your saftey. other than that gas valve could be defective. transformer could be defective.

Wish I could find your model online. Do you have the manual for the furnace or look for the firing sequence somewhere on the furnace to use a trouble shooting guide. It is usually on the inside of one of the panels.

When there is a fault the furnace will shut off. It will start the sequence again and depending on where that fault is will run till that fault happens again. It could do this over and over with short run times or it could shut down for good. Turning the power to the furnace off retests any faults and will run that firing sequence again. Or you might have to do this manually, I don't know what you have.

It appears that when you do this nothing happens. That could be a no voltage thing or it is a fault immediately in the firing sequence. If you have an induction blower(exhaust) that will cause the furnace to do nothing. They have a tendency to fowl by corrosive gasses or I've seen gasket material come loose and lock the blower. Shut the power to the furnace off. Remove the panel and feel the induction motor. If its hot there is your problem. About the door panels, there could be a door switch. Do you have the door panels on?

shouldn't be a thermocoupler, the thermocoupler is a pilot saftey device, if it was faulty the pilot would not stay lit, if this is a standing pilot unit made in the early 80's it likely does not have a inducer motor just natural draft. not trying to argue just help smile