• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help! i cant use minnows now what?

mrpike1973

hi i'm allergic to minnows, fish, and gulp. however i love to fish as long as i have a long nose pliers i can take them off. please no suggestions of wear gloves i've tried it it doesnt work. i cant put minnow heads on spoons. or just use a minnow and bobber. what fish would you suggest i can fish sunnies with worms pretty good but what about crappies can you succesfully catch them without minnows and should i just skip walleyes. any help would be great i plan on buying some lures and just dont want to buy stuff that doesnt work. i like sunnies but usually can only fish when its dark thanks for any help or suggestions

My experience, use the forage minnow spoon from northland tackle. You will catch walleye, bass, northern, sunfish, crappie and perch. Tip one or all of the treble hooks with some wax worms. One of the best jiggin' spoons I've used. But this is just my opinion. Or just take a friend out with you every time and have him or her bait your hook for you!!!

hi i'm allergic to minnows, fish, and gulp. however i love to fish as long as i have a long nose pliers i can take them off. please no suggestions of wear gloves i've tried it it doesnt work. i cant put minnow heads on spoons. or just use a minnow and bobber. what fish would you suggest i can fish sunnies with worms pretty good but what about crappies can you succesfully catch them without minnows and should i just skip walleyes. any help would be great i plan on buying some lures and just dont want to buy stuff that doesnt work. i like sunnies but usually can only fish when its dark thanks for any help or suggestions

If a Doctor can do a heart transplant or brain surgery with surgical gloves on? Why can't you put a minnow on a hook or take a fish off with them? It's not brain surgery! laugh

just the smell or if i get any minnow water splashed on me i'm sick in a hurry. its not fun. if i touch minnows my skin gets red and starts to peel off. perhaps i'll try brain surgery sound fun hee hee

Sorry to hear mrpike. That would $&ck not being able to do what you love. Have you tried to see a dermatologist about it? Maybe they can come up with some pills or ideas to help? cry

They got pills now for everything. Find a fish doctor!

If that don't work switch over to fake/plastic bait. 5 years ago there wasn't much for plastic ice fishing lures now there's a lot. So much in fact they got them for all species.

Now, this condition the same for meat, chicken, seafood?

Try Larva on jigs for pan fish and walleye.

Walleye that are active will hit a Salmo Chubby Darters without any bait added. #3 for panfish and crappie, #4 and #5 for eyes.

If scent is required, try Dr. Juice, or ad a slice of Little Atoms scented plastics as a teaser.

Tipping active jigs like Chubbys or Jigging raps with larva works too.

just the smell or if i get any minnow water splashed on me i'm sick in a hurry. its not fun. if i touch minnows my skin gets red and starts to peel off. perhaps i'll try brain surgery sound fun hee hee

How on earth can you be allergic to minnows - but not fish?

hi all just to clear up the allergy thing. i went to a specailist i'm allergic to the algae in the water. minnows seem to cause me trouble because there more concentrated. before you ask. yes fresh spring water helps but not the cure i went out on friday and bought minnows. got sick i've used my inhaler all this week i can hardly breathe but i think i avoided the asthma attack. i cannot clean fish, pike are the worst when i catch fish i use a needle nose if i need to hold the fish i rinse my hands and use hand sanitizer. thanks for the help i'm planning on really learning to be a panfisherman

mrpike I hope things get easier for you I cant tell you what to do but I would find friends that dont mind helping out anyway they can. I have a friend that has the same alergie as you and now all he fishes for is muskies in the summer and typically he wears gloves but know he's that close to an attack. He quit ice fishing all together cause of the rpobems that arise after he's been fishing.

hi all just to clear up the allergy thing. i went to a specailist i'm allergic to the algae in the water. minnows seem to cause me trouble because there more concentrated. before you ask. yes fresh spring water helps but not the cure i went out on friday and bought minnows. got sick i've used my inhaler all this week i can hardly breathe but i think i avoided the asthma attack. i cannot clean fish, pike are the worst when i catch fish i use a needle nose if i need to hold the fish i rinse my hands and use hand sanitizer. thanks for the help i'm planning on really learning to be a panfisherman

That's some serious dedication to fishing. My hat's off to you.

Have you tried a set of neoprene gloves just for bait the hook ?

The other thing you could do is skip the live minnow part, and just use the heads and use a needle nose plier to hold and cut the head off for bait on your jigging spoons or a jigging Rapala. Maybe pack the minnows in salt to preserve and kill the algae.

I have been very successful with FishBites, from the coast salt water to icefishing MN. I like the bloodworm and cut little squares for my mother-in-law to use with her cane pole off the dock for sunnies. You can get more info at the fishbites HSOforum. They now have a line of molded baits that I am itching (sorry to remind you) to try . My only warning is, do not cut them with a knife-always use a scissors. Here are a few borrowed lines from their home page...

It is a line of cut baits - convenient, easy-to-use alternatives to natural bait - giving you all the advantages of Mother Nature and then some. Fishbites products are infused with a concentrated flavor/scent that replicates natural feeding stimulants and creates a powerful scent trail, so you’ll catch more fish.

Fishbites Xtreme lures add another exciting element to fishing. Finally, you can Set the hook!® with xtreme scent without any extreme stink. Fishbites is the only lure packed with the scent that melts in the water, not on your hands!®.

.Hope you find something that works for you. My heart goes out to you.

I would most definately get some Little Atom plastics. The Micro Nuggies, Nugies, and Wedgies all work great for perch, crappies, and bluegills. I literally have not bought grubs since trying these about three winters ago.

I have also used them to tip walleye jigs and have caught walleyes using them. If walleyes are fairly active you can even catch them on a Jigging Rapala with no bait. Only thing with the Jigging Rap is I would think they could be hard to unhook if you are trying to not touch the fish. Maybe replace the bottom treble with a single hook. OR, fish with a buddy that doesn't mind unhooking a walleye for you now and then. I know I would do that for a friend!

You aren't the only one with fish allergies. I know a guy that has them, but not as bad as yours. He has to wear rubber gloves if he cleans fish or is catching a lot of fish (like when panfishing). If he eats them I guess he puffs up pretty fast! Would be nice if they could figure out something for people with fish allergies.

Good luck, and get some good ice plastics! You'll catch just as much as if you were using live bait.

gill man