• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger rack and House mount on a snowmobile?

Jordyn Kaufer

I am thinking about puttin an auger rack and some sort of rack to hold my Frabill Magnum GT or fish trap scout on the back of my older snowmobile and was wondering what some of you guys do to achieve this. The simpler the better. I dont really have any idea of a starting point so please help mee! ha

Thanks

I carry my auger on the front of my old Panther but decided against carring the shack on the same footprint as the seld weight(and my weight). The way I looked at it I wanted to spread the load out incase I get into slush or bad ice and went away from stacking it all up on the track. Figure I run an ultra light sled for a reason and should keep it that way.

Here is an old picture of my auger rack I built out of 3/8 pipe to carry the auger, only trouble is it messes up the headlight some thing terrible.

full-10775-3709-pi5send11.jpg

full-10775-3710-pi5send8.jpg

full-10775-3711-copyofimg_0287.jpg

Here's a few pics of the design. I just used angle iron and thin wall square tubing. I have heavier springs on the back. Wouldn't want to trail ride with it, but on the lake and slow through the trees it works great. Would like it on a two up with elec. start and reverse but I already have three sleds now so I just made use of what I have.full-8071-3723-dsc02358.jpg

full-8071-3724-dsc02359.jpg

full-8071-3725-dsc02360.jpg

Jordyn,

With a little creativity you could probably bolt something like together if you can at least cut and drill the tubing. Just an idea.

Are you opposed to getting a hitch for your house? It just seems much easier that way. And for the auger rack, if you have a bar on the back of your sled, a Mad Dog auger/gun rack would work very nice. Mine handles a 10 inch auger just fine.

Jordyn,

Are you opposed to getting a hitch for your house? It just seems much easier that way. And for the auger rack, if you have a bar on the back of your sled, a Mad Dog auger/gun rack would work very nice. Mine handles a 10 inch auger just fine.

Not opposed but there are some lakes up at my cabin off a snowmobile trail and you have to cross a few asphalt roads and I dont wanna shave off stuff on the sled of my shack. and I would keep it on when its on the trailer b/c if I put it in the back of my Durango only one ther person can ride in my car..

Not to make anybody mad, but what is the purpose of mounting the auger on the snowmobile or atv, vs just putting it in the sled. I understand placing the whole fish house on the atv (i do this to keep from getting stuck and it puts more weight on the tires for better traction) but why mount just the auger.

Jordan, there is a guy who will be at the St Paul Ice show that has a system to bolt on your sled and I see he is going to be there this year again. Nice system.

Agreed I looked at this setup a lot at ths show last year, but did not pull the trigger, he even offers them for a little less at the show than what he sells them for online. If you go to the St Paul Ice Show HSOforum and look for the exhibitor listing and look for snowmobile cargo system, you will find a link to his HSOforum.

If you have ever ran more then a mile on your sled you will understand why it is nice to have as much on the suspension of the snowmobile instead of in the house.

Last march I was up at lotw and we ended up running about 15 miles and the snow all milted on the lake so it was frozen ruts. Well needless to say anyting that was not on my wheeler was busted my tackle boxes were all broke I even broke my batteries. the third day I ended mounting my x2 on the back of my john deere four wheeler and nothing broke.

Now if you are one that is just running about a half mile and want to drive slow well you have no issues. I have my auger up on a rack and two 5 gallon buckets and I have a x25 mounted to my sled and pull my fish house I fell I have a great set up and it works sweet.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just asking a question. I've seen rigs on the backs of sleds/wheelers before. Personally I'm not a fan of squatting out the suspension more than I have to, but that's just me.

I keep my auger and electronics on my sled now. But I do have all my stuff packed in my tub and covered well enough to keep it safe on any run I want to do, including portages. There's always a reason for people to do what they do. Just trying to understand Jordyn's situation. wink

Jordyn, I use my snowmobile rack for my auger and only put on my single man house on the rack, because it is so small and then I can pull another. But as Darren said, pulling a bigger sled is so easy with a good hitch and hyfax, the hyfax are KEY to keeping it in good condition, and when they wear out, you put on more!

Hmmm Hmmm Hmmm. I love a good engineering challenge.

I like the auger on front, but you may have to rig lights to overcome the blockage.

Some Questions:

What type of trailer are you using? length, width?

How big is the house sled?

Concerns:

The magnum looks to have a pretty long sled (wide house). There is going to be a lot of torque on whatever frame you build and the leverage on the rear suspension will be significant.

If you leave the flip over on the rack while its on the trailer, how far will it hang over the end of the trailer? Will you have to flag it?

How much wind will be hitting that flip over while driving down the highway. Back on the trailer will be significantly more than in the back of a truck or flat on a trailer.