• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twins get rights to Tsuyoshi Nishioka

MinnesnowtaWild

Quote:
The Minnesota Twins have won the right to negotiate with 26-year-old infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka on a major league contract, Nishioka's Japanese League team announced Friday.

The Chiba Lotte Marines were notified of the highest bidder following Wednesday's deadline and revealed Friday that the Twins won the bid. Lotte did not disclose the amount, but the Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported the Twins' bid was around $5 million.

Nishioka led Japan's Pacific League with a .346 batting average this season and had 206 hits, becoming the first Pacific League player to get 200 hits since Ichiro Suzuki. He led the Marines to this year's Japan Series championship.

"I feel honored to be bid by MLB club and am extremely excited," Nishioka was quoted as saying Friday. "I appreciate that Chiba Lotte gave me this opportunity."

The Twins have 30 days to work out a deal with Nishioka. If no agreement is reached, the Marines will not receive the reported $5 million fee.

I hope he's worth the money, 5 mil plus his contract. That seems a bit steep, but I have a feeling the team has done its homework on him. To outbid large market teams we must see something other teams don't which is a typical Twins move. Surprised Yanks didn't outbid everyone with Jeter's status with the team up in the air.

People complain when the Twins spend money, some complain when they don't spend money. Some Japenesse players become stars, some don't. confused

I don't mind them spending money on players contracts- but to hand another team $5 million just to talk to them- WOW. 5 minutes into the discussions they can say "No, gimme our $5 million" and they would get it. Crazy

Basicly they are making a trade, cash for a player. It sounds like a great deal considering draft choices get big signing bonuses and most never make it to the bigs. 5 mil is pretty low risk for a player with that much potential. The Trib says they should be able to sign him for around 3 mil a year for 3 years.

I'm glad they are at least trying to improve and are willing to spend a little to do it. I don't see it as much different then dealing with a #1 draft pick. You have to pay big money to someone who may or may not work out. At least this kid has done it before against other professionals (granted in was in Japan), its better than judging a players potential when they are playing against high school kids that won't even go on to play in Junior College.

This kid will cost us in the range of $14-15 million over 3 years if you include the $5 million for his rights. What does a 1st round draft choice sign for these days?

i like to see them gambling a little but i see big changes for this roster for 2011. My guess is he will not go to minors he will be right to the roster where a first round will probably be in the minors for awhile.

I believe if they sign him, he will HAVE to go on the 25 man roster.

for the record... the Red Sox paid $53 Million to negotiate with Matsuzaka....

The nice thing about Nishioka is he is a lot younger than most Japanese players who come over to the MLB. He has good speed and some decent power. His numbers really spiked this year and I have heard experts say they project him in the .290 range for average with around 30 stolen bases. The Twins are saying they will play him at second and I've heard some terms thrown around in the 3 year/$15million range for a contract. I like the deal because, like has been mentioned, the Twins don't spend $$$ without doing their homework and WE NEED SPEED. I like O-dog, but until he quits looking like a 50 year old with his injuries, he can head on down the road..... I am interested to see how Casilla fits in this whole deal.... If they part with Hardy, that makes Casilla our every day shortstop....

I think that this guy will actually come over and do pretty well. There is a huge American presence in Japanese baseball right now. I also think that we will see some other Japanese superstars come over in the coming years. I expect to see a .300 avg and ~30 steals. It will definitely be an improvement. Although I do think we are going to lose some defensive skills in the middle infield for the first year he's over here.