• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ideas for tires. E-rated but "all-terrains"

I need some new tires. Mine are at 4/32" and one is 3/32 so its time.

I have an F350 diesel and do some towing so the E-rated tires are a must for me. I'm looking for a more all-terrain tire since I've been stuck 3x in the last year and none of the situations were very tricky. It was purely a traction issue.

I've had BFG AT's before but not on this truck. I'm also looking at the Michelin AT's, but I've looked at the Nitto At;s too. The truck takes a 275/70/18 factory but I'm also considering the 295's cause I know they will fit.

Any thoughts?

I put yokohama geolander ats tires on my f350 dually 4x4. They ride nice, and seem to be quiet. As you know diesels are a little noisy. Haven't tried them in the snow but consumer reports liked them. Got them from discount tire direct. Seems like they were 6 something delivered. But that's for 6 of them.

How about the TOYO Open Country A/T's? They seem to get rave reviews, so much in fact that when I was tire shopping in Oct I was told that it would be 2-3 months before they were available. I ended up going back to my old reliable BF AT's. Hard to change when they give you little reason to.

I've heard/read that NITTO's are soft and wear quickly. They are mostly a tire for pretty pickups that never leave the pavement. smile

I had General Grabber HTS and was very pleased, but they are more ICE and wet surface than fresh/deep snow or mud, not much aggressiveness.

I also had Michelin ATs and I rate them the best of everything, including they lasted 90,000miles, they cost an arm and a leg but they are worth it if you can fit it in the budget.

I ended up going back to my old reliable BF AT's. Hard to change when they give you little reason to.

I agree, my last pair of 315's lasted about 75k. Roughly 30k of that was on a 1500, the other 45k was on my 2500. I purchased another pair this past summer. Expensive, but worth it IMO.

I have the Michelin at/2's and think they are great. They have great traction and wear very good as well. For a good all around AT and driving tire I just don't think they can be beat. Ford and Chev are starting to put them on the HD's I have been looking at lately. They are not as aggressive as the BFG's but deffintly handle the road and will outlast them by a mile!

I have done alot of research on tires lately both online and with real people. Michelins are great tires for wear but are not very good on ice. Nitto's are great on ice but don't wear the best. From what I have found the best of both worlds seem to be the Geolanders, Hankook RF 10's or Cooper Discoverer ATR's. My best friend has the RF 10's and my father in law has the Cooper's both of these have excellent reviews online as well.

I just put some Goodyear Authority from Wally on my 2500. THey are E rated, pretty much like the BFG, a little noisy, but not too bad. Seem to have agood gription also and for only $ 175/ tire, mounted adn balanced it was better deal than anything else I could find in the twin ports..

Not sure if you can get them E rated but I just put on General Grabber AT2 tires on my 01 F150. They look a bit similar to the BFG AT's but half the price. I have 4k on mine and like them. I got them for $138 each at L and M Fleet. These were 265/70/17's

Tried a lot of tires on the three diesels.

Ran two sets of BFG 295's on the F250, first set got 80K miles second set got 70K miles but one blew out at 40K miles going 75mph in Montana. Now it's got Nitto Terra Graplers on it. They have about 50K miles on them now with another 10K miles to go. They are not the best on ice.

Ran a set of Good Year Wrangler on the Excursion with very poor results. Now it's got a set of Ravo's and they are absolute junk. Will never buy them again. Expensive and wear very quickly. Decent in snow/ice though.

Ran a set of Dunlop Rovers on the dually and they wore very fast. Load range D but had very good traction. Now running a set of Michelin MS2's and like them a lot. Good traction in both snow and ice. Best part was the employee discount at Ford, $860 after the rebate all 6 out the door! The other places wanted $1,300. Even got the white lettering!!! Was going to go with the traction AT tire but wanted the 70K mile warranty.

My dad has a set of MS2's on his 3/4 ton van with 65K miles on them with a lot of life left.

Consumer reports puts Michelin tires on the top of the list year after year. Towing and rv forums also recommend Michelin more than any other tire.