• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Luke warm heat at best........

I have a 2001 Tahoe with 170,000 miles. I have notice (for sure on the way home today) that the heat is luke warm at best. Temp gauge is at the normal temp. The t-stat is original. Heater core hoses are the same temp (warm) but the upper radiator hose is hot and the lower hose is cold. This Tahoe does not have a radiator cap except the cap on the overflow tank (15 psi). Overflow tank has the proper level of antifreeze. So could it be a bad t-stat or core, or even something else.

ps. Temp control works because you can see the damper open and close properly.

If the gauge is in the normal spot than the t-stat is working.

How does the coolant look? Like Mud?

I would start with backflushing the heater core. It may take several tries. If it starts to blow hot then definitely flush the entire cooling system

Don't know about newer cars but some of the pickups I had in the 80's& 90's the temp lever that controled heat temp the cable that ran from it to the control lever on the fire wall(heater core) would slip so it was not opening the valve full way. One just has to readjusts the fitting on the end of the cable.

You are right Surface T. The lower hose should be cooler and for sure on a cold day. Not sure why I didn't have heat that day. Had heat on the way to the cities, didn't have heat on the way home. Was on the highway for 3 hrs round trip yesterday and had the fan on 1 and 2 out of 5 (high) and we were plenty warm. We will see what the future holds I guess.

Thanks for all the info,

Shane