• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild Boar Hunting Question…

I went and did spot and stalk I took mine with a 6mm with a 100 grain remington corelock caught him sleeping in a shady brush pile took him half way between the ear and the eye never wiggled dressed out at 300 lbs.

To get the meat home we packed them in coolers and layered newspaper and dry ice meat was froze solid when we got home.

I have a .243 Win and then my next rifle is a .338 Win Mag.

I have hand loaded some 150 gr. bullets that just scream out of the .338

I wonder if that is OVERKILL???

Maybe I need to go buy another .270 -.308 type rifle???

.338 Is an excellent choice.

Shot one in CA just over 15 years ago. My wife's uncle was the guide. He had me carry a .280 Ackley. It did a fantastic job. Now having said that I snap shot at a pretty small pig running under some pine trees. It turned out to be about a 2 month old 25 pounder, so I'm sure my .22 would have done just fine. We put the four packages of meat in a small cooler for the drive home...

Never got a chance at another hog, so was glad I shot, but it's not the trophy I'm most proud of... The hunt was still a lot of fun though.

I shot a 200 lb hog in Oklahoma last year with a 30.06 it ran about 10 yrds. Then made an awful lot of noise for 5 min and it was over. Seemed to be enough gun. It was a lung shot. Alot of good meat. I also used all the scrap form my venison sausage and sticks-worked very well. i would like to do it every year but can't. frown

South of Tulsa, a friend lives down there and has permission to hunt a creek bottom on a farm. The farmer just wants them killed, they destroy his crops and with no limit and no license it is hard to beat! I butcher them on site, just quarter them up and bring them home, usually 2 coolers is fine. I go every time i get down there.