• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

thirdeye's Thanksgiving

excelent job. that boneless rib is well marbled and will be great. if y ou get a chance post that paste recipe. thanks and good luck.

4 cloves of crushed garlic

2T kosher salt

2T of coarse grain brown mustard

2T chopped fresh thyme

2T black pepper

enough olive oil to make everything sticky... no more than 2T

I put it on about 4 hours before going on my cooker, and let it sit in the fridge. I cooked it fat down with a pit temp was 250° for most of the cook, then I ramped it up to give it a little crisp up. When the internal temp passed 100°, I shot a couple of ounces of a beefy aujus (heated) into it.

DSC01475raaa.jpg

at what internal temp did you take the roast out? did you let it sit awhile? i have make some good prime rib but yours is something i would like to achieve. thank you. good luck.

Unless you buy a whole one, your choices are a large end, (closer to the shoulder) or a small end (from the rear or sirloin end). The small end ones are where a rib steak somes from and are basically that center muscle. Mine was a large end roast.

When you look at that sliced photo, you can see that there is a difference in the thickness of the roast. I placed the roast with the side with the outer "rib cap" muscle on it toward the rear of my pit as I have a hot spot back there, trying to balance out the doneness. But to answer your question, I pulled it off when the thicker areas were about 125°. When I temped the thin areas, they were just over 130° +/-. I did let it rest (tented in foil and with a dish towel on top for a little insulation, but no more than 8 or 10 minutes. I would call those slices medium rare.

I also had a heated skillet on the stove because one guest wanted his slice cooked to medium. That took maybe 30 seconds on one side and about 15 seconds on the other side. I plated that slice with the 30 second side up (so the eye would tell the brain it was cooked just right).... sneaky, but it works.

I also had a heated skillet on the stove because one guest wanted his slice cooked to medium. That took maybe 30 seconds on one side and about 15 seconds on the other side. I plated that slice with the 30 second side up (so the eye would tell the brain it was cooked just right).... sneaky, but it works.

I would be willing to bet there wasn't a complaint and was some of the best they ever had winkgrin

thank you. i like the large end myself. i'm going to have to try that paste on a chuck eye roast. the eye of the chuck is as close to a ribeye you can get. it's actualy an extention of it and part of the chuck roast. i dont know if you have ever tried one but they are half the cost of a ribeye and with your method and paste should be tender and tasty. i tie two chuckeye roasts together and they usualy weigh on average 3 to 4 pounds each. my son-in law is going to show me how to post pictures. your's are awesome. thanks again and good luck.

thank you. i like the large end myself. i'm going to have to try that paste on a chuck eye roast. the eye of the chuck is as close to a ribeye you can get. it's actualy an extention of it and part of the chuck roast. i dont know if you have ever tried one but they are half the cost of a ribeye and with your method and paste should be tender and tasty. i tie two chuckeye roasts together and they usualy weigh on average 3 to 4 pounds each. my son-in law is going to show me how to post pictures. your's are awesome. thanks again and good luck.

We were talking about that same thing at work. A chuck roll at Sam's Club is very reasonable, boneless and after cutting the section you want all the rest makes perfect hamburger.

IMG_0484a.jpg

DSC04326ajpgw.jpg

you have got the right idea. i was a meat cutter for 35 years and in the early years we had to bone those chuck rolls right out of a front quarter. in those days all we had were hanging hind quarters and front quarters. but those chuck rolls are what the cutters use today. there is nothing better than ground chuck in my opinion. the right fat content along with a super flavor. good luck.

3rdEye - I made a 5 pound chunk of prime rib last night and used your rub recipe. It turned out fantastic. Towards the end of cooking I added a cup each of veggie broth and beef broth to the pan, plus a little black pepper. This became my dipping au jus which may have been better than the meat. cool