• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pickled Norther

polish pickled northern- three hammerhandles fillet'd. just take the rib section out leave the y bones. they are disolved in the proccess. freeze the fillets for two days. thaw and cut into 1in pieces. put them into 6 cups water and 1 cup salt. put into the fridge for 2 days. drain and rinse. put the fillets chunks into 6 cups of vinigar and put in the fridge for 2 days. drain and rinse. prepare-6cups of vinegar,6 cups of sugar, and 3 tbls of pickling spice. bring to a boil and let cool. add to the fish- 3 onions slice up, juice of 1 lemon, 1 cup of port wine, and 1 green pepper [optional]. pour the solution you let cool over fish and put in the fridge for 5 to 7 days and start eating. good luck.

Here is a good recipe i have used for years. Best made in a single container. Love the onions. Dont forget the wine! be sure to taste brine and adjust with wine or sugar to your liking.

Recipe for Two Pounds of fillets

2 Lbs Fish Fillets

1 Cup Canning/Pickling Salt

1 Quart Warm Water

2 Cups White Vinegar

1 Cup Sugar

Pickling Spice

1 Cup Sweet White Wine ( Silver Satin )

1 Lemon

2 Medium Onions

Place 2 lbs thawed whole fillets in a deep glass or plastic container-ice cream pail.

Fillets do not need to be boneless. However, do remove rib bones and belly fat. The salting process softens the bones and they will become textureless. Dissolve 1 C salt in in warm water. Rule of thumb for the salt water is an egg should float in it. Pour over fillets. Cover and let stand in refrigerator for 48 hours. It is recommended to stir salted fillets 1 - 2 times per day to make sure salt solution is evenly distributed. After 48 hours drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water and drain.

Cut fillets into even pieces ( cracker size ). Place into container and cover with white vinegar for 48 hours. Refrigerate. Stir 1 - 2 times per day. After 48 hours Drain.

Brine

In a kettle mix 1 cup sugar, 2 cups white vinegar and pickling spice. Heat mixture to dissolve sugar. DO NOT BOIL.

Cut lemon and slice onions.

Pack into desired size glass or plastic container by alternating fillets, lemon and onions. Cover with cooled brine and cap. Refrigerate. After two days taste. Add 1 cup sweet wine. If needed, add more sugar to taste. Fish should be ready to eat after 4 -5 days in the brine. Enjoy.

make sure to taste and adjust brine as needed

Use the silver satin recipe and your fish will come out firm and delicious. Not rubbery or mushy like some ive used. I make it in a glass gallon jar. Others use a plastic ice cream pail. Once the whole batch is made, then transfer to smaller jars if you want. Just rememeber to taste the brine and adjust the sugar or wine to taste.

here is the thread you were looking for, and yes it turns out like pickled herring. Yes S ilver Satin is easy to find.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2233720/Re_Pickled_Northern#Post2233720

I have made one change, and that is only to the size of the fish chunks. When I open the batch right away, the ones 1/2 inch thick are not done yet so I stick to about a quarter inch thick, maybe 3/8 and everything is done right away.

This is a Tulibee recipe, but I have used it for Bass, Sheepshead, and Northern (boned...may have to wait longer than 5 days to disolve Y bones if left in)

Summary: Keeps for 6 months in the fridge. DO NOT use metal cooking utensils for steps 1-4 of recipe

Directions:

1. Cut fish into 1-2 inch pieces 1/4- 3/8" inch thick

2. Salt water mixture: use pickling salt, not table salt.

Mix: 1 qt water to one cup salt and soak fish 24 hours in fridge

3. Drain and rinse next day

4. Cover fish in white vinegar 24 hours in fridge

5. 3rd day drain, pack fish and raw onions in sterile jars packed tightly

(optional: you can put 2-3 red chili peppers in each jar for added

color and zip)

6. Then add brine after it has cooled to room temp. Refrigerate 5 days

before eating.

BRINE MIXTURE:

BOIL 5 MINUTES AND LET COOL (ok to cook in metal pot for this mixture), 2 C. WHITE VINEGAR, 1/2 CUP WATER, 1-1/2 CUPS SUGAR, 2 TABLESPOONS PICKLING SPICES,2 CUPS PORT WHITE WINE (I USE SILVER SATIN)

shocked

Clarification...when I said "When I open the batch right away, the ones 1/2 inch thick are not done yet so I stick to about a quarter inch thick, maybe 3/8 and everything is done right away.

I meant right away on day 5. The thicker chunks needed more time than 5 days. But using a tad bit thinner chunks and they were all done on day 5. I have too many people wanting to dig in on day 5. Most batches dont make it to day 14.

Enjoy

Quote:
The thicker chunks needed more time than 5 days. But using a tad bit thinner chunks and they were all done on day 5.

How do you know without eating them? Will they look for feel different if they're not done?

I have 2 jars (just used what I caught....bass, sunnies, and a couple of crappies) starting day 6 right now. I left the hair bones in...that's the first time I've done that, I'm wondering if they'll dissolve or if I'll regret it. If they dissolve, I might try pickling a couple of jars of suckers this spring.

I did mine in 2 steps - 5 days in cider vinegar and salt; rinse; 3 days in cider vinegar, sugar, and pickling spice. It's really easy. If anyone wants the exact proportions, let me know and I'll dig out the card and post them. I wonder if adding a chile pepper or two would improve it. confused

Your bones should dissolve. I leave the Y-bones in and you can't tell.

As far as being done, My wife starts eating them in 3 days. I usually wait 5.

I've done a bunch of different flavors. I love throwing some Jalapenos in my regular batch. I also love doing a Mango-Habenero and adobe chipotles. Don't worry, the mango-habenero isn't very hot at all unless you eat the peppers. Same with the Jalapenos. The chipotles give it a nice smokey taste to it.

On a side note, I need to go set some tipups out!