• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon Spearing Q&A

As the ice slowly starts to build this year, my excitement begins to grow once again for the majestic spearing season. This year, I'd like to take Questions from any intersted people and provide you with answers to either help new folks to this sport or to simply provide info to curious folks. There was a lot of interest in this topic last year, so I figure I'd do a little something different this year.

Hope to hear from you, I'm especially excited this year as my step son will be joining me for his first year. The tradition lives on.

Indeed you can. Though there are predates set for purchasing a license. To fully understand this, I will explain in laymen terms. By Aug 1st, you can apply for an Upriver Lottery tag. This will for your first time applying give you preference points. After Oct 1st, you'll get a thing in the mail saying if you were chosen for an Upriver tag or not, if not it says you have 1 preference point. Standard wait is about 5-7yrs for this one. Worth the wait imo, simply because the Upriver lakes are shallower and there is a higher probability of taking a fish.

So, I get a pref point this year. Now I have until October 31st, to go buy my Non-Resident Spearing Tag for Lake Winnebago. You can simply just buy this w/o applying for the Upriver though, anyone can spear on Winnebago no matter what as it's not part of the lottery system. So as long as you remember Oct 31st, there will be no problem for you obtaining a Non-Res $65 Liscense to spear a sturgeon.

Does applying for the Lake Winnebago sturgeon tag hurt or erase the preference point if you are unsuccessful in the upriver lottery? A group of us are coming out for the event this year. Are there any cabins for rent on the west side of the lake that you are aware of? If not, any hotels in Fond du Lac or Oshkosh within walking distance of a good bar and grill?

Duck,

I missed this post, apologize for that.

To answer your question, Getting a tag for Winnie will not affect your current standing for upriver if you do not draw. To be specific, you don't apply for Winnie Tag, you simply have to purchase it by Oct.31 as results for the lottery are given by Oct 1st. Your pref point will carry with until you are successful in the lottery, which is approximately 5-7yrs right now.

I am not sure on cabin rentals, Plenty of hotels in the oshkosh/fondy area with plenty of bars available. The Tilted Kilt which I guarantee you will enjoy in Oshkosh has the Oshkosh Lodge next to it (which I know alot of Pros utilize for their tournies). Otherwise, most of the bars are downtown with limited hotel accomodations in that area. A few good places to hang out is Wendts (South of Oshkosh on Hwy.45 between oshkosh and fondy) good food and spirits and has a majority of fish registration going on for this area, and the Otter Street Club has a shin dig going on, on the ice (North of Oshkosh on Hwy.45 which turns into Cty.A) which has a fisheree/refreshment :P tent/music. Some options for you that I know of.

I'm going scouting this week on Winniebago, so far reports are bleak as water clarity is seriously bad this year here and on the upriver. But I never loose hope as this was the same issue last year, which cleared in two weeks time... The big lake is far more complicated to spear as one day things are great to north but you find yourself hauling/cutting in the dark at 5am the next morning on the south end..Hopefully it's not that difficult.

I'll be posting reports shortly on water clairty...fish sightings...and my 1st day setup including pics of the traditional season this year. Stay tuned.