• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choke tubes for coyotes

I recently picked up my first 12ga and one of the things I want to use it for is close in work on predators. I have a Remington 870 Express. An old reliable that I can field strip in seconds if I need to.

A friend of mine swears by the Patternmaster chokes. I noticed Carlson makes a choke called Dead Coyote designed with input from the Hevi-shot guys for their Dead-Coyote loads. We use these because my friend believes in using non-toxic shot for everything.

I will be shooting some of the Dead-Coyote loads so I want a choke that can handle the non-toxic loads.

Any other suggestions? I'm trying to narrow down the pool since they are not cheap and they aren't worth returning once they've been shot through.

My father shot many yotes by laying on the ground with a white sheet over his body in the snow. He would call them in close and whack um with his 12 gauge with a full choke. His buddy laid there also but use a varmit rifle.

He said many times in a full moon evening they would call them in very close and they were an easy kill with the shotgun.

you need to pattern your shotgun with any choke tube. I shoot dead coyote loads also with the dead coyote choke out of by browning bps. Shoots good enough to 45yds or so. hardly ever us it though and have never shot one with it, as i tend to use the rifle and not limit myself to 50 yards

I shot my first one last year with a borrowed shotgun. 52yds. I realize I will need to pattern since I've done that before. I'm mostly looking for other suggestions for a choke tube from those who may have used them before. I'm hesitant to buy a $90 tube to find out its not the best one for my gun.

If a person uses a full choke and calls them in close enough, no worries at all. If they try to take a long bomb shot at say 60 yards, they will have yotes running off.

That's why my dad used the shotgun and his friend used a rifle for the longer shots.

They liked trying to get them in very close. If one hung up, then the rifle did the job.

If I were to use my shotgun instead of my .223, I would more than likely use my 3.5 inch with the extra full turkey tube if it patterened well for those longer ranges.

Dead Coyote is a lights out load if you can get it to pattern well. If your going to shoot that exclusively, i would start with the carlsons or the hevi-shot chokes made for the load. don't over look federal heavyweight in BB though either. Denser than hevishot and better pellet count. some guys have good luck with the 3" 4 buck through a full choke as well. i tend to shoot buck through my full choke or lead BB through my patternmaster. whatever you do, pattern pattern pattern.