• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE MAP 2010/2011 (Done for the Year)

Jeremy airjer W

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out on Jane in Lake Elmo last Saturday. Straight out from the landing about 200yds on the edge where it starts to really drop off was a solid 7 inches of black ice. Lots of fluffy snow on the top made a tough pull with the sled, but real good ice. A couple of other portables where out there and a couple snowmobiles where on the ice near shore. Not much of a bite, marked fish and only caught a few tiny pannies. Better than being skunked.

I've visited this site a lot, finally decided to log on... I fished Owasso on Mon. 12/6; There were about 10 portables out there, and about 4-5" of good ice. We did find one spot w/ 3" cloudy ice, got outta there quick. Caught a couple of cigar walleyes and a crappie. Fished the above mentioned Clear Lake Tuesday, 5-7" good ice. 8 hours: couple of nibbles, no fish! Wife and I fished Mitchell in Big Lake for a few hours Wed.; 5-6" good ice, no fish for me, she caught a nice, fat small mouth and an 8 inch crappie. No keepers yet, but there is a lot of season left!!!

Eagle Lake, Maple Grove SE corner: walked a LONG way out through deep snow and slush; very tiring!!! First hole 12 FOW found 5.5" ice with water, 5" slush, and snowpack on top. Went another 50 yards and drilled holes and set-up house, almost set-up when heard a HUGE crack underfoot. Checked the ice, turned out to be 4" with same 5" water, slush, and snow on top. The water came almost up to the top of the snowpack, with a definitive layer of water between good ice and snow. I felt uneasy the entire time. Sitting warm and comfy at home, I think the crack might have been in the top layer of slush freeze... at least that's what i'm telling myself to feel better about the whole situation smile

Freedom, the same thing happened to me on washington. Maybe 3 inches of good ice and the rest junk with snow on top. Sitting there fishing and when the ice cracked I felt it in my bum. I wasn't comfortable sitting there for long.

Saw a full size truck on O'Dowd in Shakopee today couple hundred yards out of the landing next to a big shack. Also a few houses next to landing ready to go out. I dont know of ice conditions but dont think its a good idea for the full size truck out there.

South Lindstrom Lake - Lindstrom, MN:

I checked the same location that I reported a couple weeks back - now it's 7-8 inches in spots, but white ice with a good 6-9 inches of snow on top (and only very thin layer of slush). I still don't trust it. Nobody's out on the lake yet, except for some folks still in the channel between Lindstrom and Chisago lakes.

In my part of the country right now, no lake has less than 3 inches, and many lakes have 12 or more. The lakes with the least ice are those that are very deep (Canadian Shield lake trout lakes), so they cool down last. There are only two or three of those. The rest have ice that is deep and strong. Great ice up here, with only a few inches of snow cover!

I saw a coupla boys hike some pop-ups out to the deep part of South Lindstrom for an overnight last night. I kept an eye on their pop-ups, making sure they were still above surface, off and on - till about 1AM when I went to bed. This morning they were gone, so I'm assuming they stayed above surface and had a good time.