• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE MAP 2010/2011 (Done for the Year)

Jeremy airjer W

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11/28 5 pm

As promised was in Ottertail County over the weekend.

First let me say if you are planning on venturing out on ice, PLEASE wear you flotation jackets and or a life vest along with having picks

What I found and what was reported to me at coffee this morning, 1 1/2 inches of ice to 6 inches plus but it is very very spotty be very careful if you go out and I suggest venturing out only on body of waters that you know and check frequently one area I checked on a lake I know well had 6 inches... I walked over 20 feet and my chisel went threw with one light hit.. needless to say but my butt in reverse quickly, north of Underwood it was 47 degrees this afternoon

Cut Foot off of Winnie had 1.5" on Friday but open in the middle. Round Lake by Squaw lake had about 2.5" of ice and about 6" of snow/slush on it.

Round Lake by Brainerd had any where from 3" of ice to open water on Saturday. Fished the 3" of ice.

I was out Saturday checking ice depths. I checked Silver off of Century Ave. and found a good 3-4 inches about a 100 ft. out but decided not to go out. As I was driving away I saw a couple of guys getting ready to walk out.

Wondering if they are HSO'ers? If so how far did you get out and how thick was the ice? I know this is a long shot but I thought I'd try.

The light fluffy stuff insulates, but at lest it doesn't create slush as bad as the wet heavy stuff does. 5-6 inches of that would mean slush for the next 2 months. 5-6 inches of light fluffy stuff will slow down the ice making and maybe make a little slush. Hopefully it blows around and off the lakes.

I'd much prefer the light fluffy snow. Unlike the heavy snow, some wind will push around the light snow..... either pushing the snow off the lake or making it into snow drifts leaving areas of the ice uncovered by snow and thus not insulated.