Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mr_jman

Need advice on getting out stuck boat seat pedestals?

I have a friend who is having trouble getting the boat seats out of a boat that has been sitting for a while.... Any suggestions for getting the pedestals out of the holes?

Thanks

Are the taper lock type? About 2 1/2" diameter with a tab to press for unlocking? If so, have one person press the tab and pull up while a second person rocks the post side to side. These are a PITA to get out once they stick.

Spray some lube around edges and let set. The tab is probably not letting lose. Make sure nothing is down beside tab. Wiggle it around until it comes out.

I had a taper lock pedestal I always had trouble with. Last resort is to unscrew the base from the boat deck, put it on the workbench, cinch down the locking tab with a tie wrap and beat the pedestal off the base, or the base off the pedestal, with a rubber hammer. I don't have a permanent solution to keep it from sticking again though. I tried cleaning up the socket and the taper lock insert, but a few weeks later it was stuck again. Don't use any kind of lubricant, that's not safe.

Ron.

Hammer and regular screwdrivers. Hammer lightly around the cracks to break the seal, then it should pop off. I've never had good luck unscrewing the base and going that route.

If the style lets you twist the pedestal in the base, try to twist it by hand. Might take 2 guys working together to twist it.

If you can't twist it, raise the pedestal all the way and try rocking the pedestal back and forth, and work all the way around a circle to rock it in all directions.

If that doesn't work, try pounding on the pedestal near the base with a rubber mallet, or even try thumping it with a rubber-coated anchor.

While you're doing this, make sure you're not flexing the floor or ripping the base loose from the floor.

I don't like the idea of spraying lube in there (it's already too tight and stuck) and I don't like the idea of trying to hammer a screwdriver in there (you're trying to get it out, not damage it).

As a last resort I'd remove the base from the boat and then try to pound the base off the pedestal.

Good luck, it can be a real pain in the a$$ when they're stuck.

Thanks for the replies, as far as I know they don't have a locking feature. He is just trying to remove the middle seat to open up some room. I believe its just a pedestal that slides into the base.

As you apply upward pressure give the top part of the post a good rap with the palm of your hand to jar it sideways. This can often get them to pop loose.

We tried everything on a resort boat a couple years ago, we were trying to remove the seats and posts to make room for our muskie gear, we tried for 2 hours and never got either to budge. Boat was only a couple years old to, tried everything from our hands to a 48" pipe wrench and a BFH. I have the 3/4 posts in my new rig first things I removed when I got the boat were all but the drivers seat.

As mentioned above spray with WD-40. Let sit.

Then if you can (depending on how long the pedastal is..) bend over and lay down with your stomach on top of the seat and your hands down around the base where the post goes in. Put your hand around the base while laying with your stomach on the seat and then gently rock back and forth and a little side to side. At the same time kind of pull to each side with your hands as your rocking back and forth. I know this sounds counter-intuitive to put more weight on the seat/pedastal...but if you do it right and gently rock side to side and back and forth - your weight will help to unlock where it is sticking. I have tried this numerous times on my old Lund when nothing else would work - and it has worked every time.

Good luck!

I had one stuck like it was welded in. A friend of mine suggested a penetrating oil called "Knock-er-Loose". I got it at an auto parts store. I sprayed it around the base, went back an hour later and lifted it out like it was new.

i used to have that problem, but once you get the seat out put a big washer in the base and you wont have to worry about it sticking again.

the washer keeps the wedge from seating so tight. just be a little careful until you get used to it cause the seat will rock a little.

I used to use a bottle jack. Mine had a push in lever, so while pushing the lever in, I'd jack it up and out. If the top of the jack doesn't have anough surface area to catch it, use a chunk of wood in between.

My seats can be removed from the pedestals. If you can do that too, I'd take off the seats and put a big pipe wrench on the top. It would be best if you had too big pipe wrenches on opposite sides, using too people to put equal pressure on that pedestal.

I've got one semi-difficult pedestal on my 2009 boat. I'm going to try the washer idea. That's a great solution.

Warning warning warning;;;;;;;;;;; Do not spray with wd40 or similar product. Unless you want to be thrown out of the boat the next time you are out in rough water

for sure a two man job on those tabs. one guy hold the tab down the other guy goes angry on the seat. rocking back and forth and pulling up should do the trick.

I have the same problem with my middle seat, use a pipe wrench and twist it out it works great.

mr

After I got my Ranger,I had a **ll of a time moving my seats around.

I found using my bike chain lube "White Lightning" on the seat post worked great.The post came out so much easier without me getting on my knees-wedging myself under the seat pushing....It's a wax product-one treatment worked all summer long-I'll do an application this spring.

Hi Everyone, new to this forum and thanks for the advice on removing a stuck seat pedestal but the above didnt work and I almost had a heart attack smile. Actually ended up using two jacks (Borrowed one from my father) and placed one on either side of the (Underside) of the stuck chairs and used a zip tie to make sure the pin was pressed in. I slowly added pressure evenly on the two jacks until the seat post popped out of the base...no lubricant. Came out in one piece with no damage...with a loud POP. Just thought I'd share. Just make sure your seat is cranked onto the post prior to raising the jacks. Good luck. I also added a video on youtube of the process: