• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sure is quiet........

student

The weekend weather report is giving me a little more motivation to get out. The last two times out I have been seeing a lot of deer, but they have seen a few slugs fired their way, and there will be few muzzies in my area this weekend--which is just fine.

With the APR in my zone, I'm going to have a number of bucks next season to monitor on the trail cameras. One of them lost the tips off of all three tines on his right side. "Buster" is going to have a tall set of horns next season.

My trips have been fewer an fewer lately, but still giving it a go, planning on doing more this weekend.

My buck spottings have been limited this year, still trying to figure them out this year, seems like they went nocturnal real early this year.

...seems like they went nocturnal real early this year.

I found the same thing too. I wonder why... The good news is, there have been a couple decent bucks showing up in shooting light at my mother-in-laws place over the past week or two. Not on the nights I've been there, of course, but it gives me hope...

My favorite time of year to hunt is the next month or so. However, this year looks very complicated for me (schedule-wise) and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get out in Dec.

The Wisconsin bow season closes over the nine day Wisconsin gun season, so I coulnd't go out if I wanted to. Unfortunatly, it will be cold when it starts again. I'd put my chances as low as going out, I still have two unused doe tags but it could happen.

It's been way too quiet in here... c'mon guys, what's the deal? You're not letting a little cold weather keep the bow on rack are ya?

Conditions are tough right now, I won't lie. I went to check a trail camera last night and I think I alerted the whole woodlot walking through that crust. Some fresh tracking snow would be nice. Keep the bowstand log reports coming!

Tagged out with the bow so I might try and do a little scouting when I get some free time. If you are done hunting this is a great time to find your buck for next year and take a little inventory to see if any nice bucks made it through the rifle season. The buck I shot this year I jumped out of his bed doing a little hunting/scouting last muzzy season.

I plan to be out in the SE woods all day Saturday. I need to get this ground shooting thing right so I can end the year on a possitive note. Shared my heart aches earlier this week but did not share the fact that I seen two nice bucks that morning as well. I thought I was going to get a shot off at one until he was spooked. Came in on my down wind side and got rather close before doing a 180 and snuck out of there. Can you say busted? Going to take some advise from you guys and get them ground shots lower. Cold weather works just fine for me with them boot socks and hand muff from ICE BREAKERS. Very cummfy with them in tow.

Good luck everyone.

well all my tags are punched and now i'm focused on ice fishing. Caught some walleyes last night and my camo is put away, good luck to all the later season hunters it can be a fun time to hunt in the snow but for once I don't need to!

mr

Was out Yesterday morning, saw 7 (one spike). I drew back on a mature doe broadside at 20 yards, and let it fly. I hear a thwack and think I got her. She trots about 10 yards and stands there for a few mins. then walks off. The whole time I'm thinking fall over... So i go to where she was standing and low and behold I notice a pencil sized twig clipped clean off about 10' from where she was standing. My arrow went right under her (found the arrow where she was standing, no hair blood or anything) dang a clean miss (better to have that then a wounded deer). I went out this morning and saw 1 off in the distance. Oh well i have a week off around Christmas so I'll be able to go out all day then.

Funny you should mention that as I asked my uncle if we could leave a little food plot next season. Not a problem...

I was out the past two nights. Saw five last night and was eye to eye with a nice doe after she snuck up behind me in the snow. I'm learning a lot about stand placement this season. grin It was a pleasant night to be out.

Tonigh was a different story. I sat in a ground blind with a cold breeze in my face, and it wasn't much fun. The deer came into the field just as I was heading home. I'm waiting for the next warm day over 20, which should be right after the end of the muzzie season.

Was out yesterday in the cold cold cold. Spent the morning disturbing the edge of a ravine on public near Duquette trying to find a good location to use a self climber. Found a ton of tracks in there and kicked up a pair of does and then later a doe on steroids, biggest dang doe I ever seen.

Afternoon, I was on a piece of private where I have permission to hunt. Walking down to where I was to climb up, I kicked up about 4 large bodied deer. Not sure of any bucks though cuz all I saw was a$$. Stayed and saw no deer from the stand all the way up until 4:30 when I gave up. However, when I got down, I went to retrieve a practice arrow I shot from earlier in the day (at a grouse that I missed) I found scrapes in the snow. Bucks still make scrapes this time of year?!

i have always heard about the 2nd estrous cycle that does come into if they were not bred during the first cycle. Supposed to really have the bucks moving looking for those remaining does. I would guess that they would still be making some scrapes to let off some of that "steam".

I watched a little spike chasing fawns on Sunday. He ran by me 3 different times. the last time he stopped, rubbed his stubby horns, pawed the ground a few times and took off with his nose to the ground. Was really fun to watch. I told him to come back in 3 years grin

I wouldn't doubt that they were scrapes. Over Thanksgiving weekend I found quite a bit of fresh buck sign in the snow. Fresh rubs with bark/fence post shavings on top of the snow, fresh scrapes in the snow, and even an area of about 20'x20' where I am guessing 2 bucks squared off. Point being, it can and will happen until all of the deer change gears from "breeding mode" to "survival feed mode".