• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1 year old lab...trainable?

Hd Wtr Hillbilly

We came across a 14 month old lab whos owner had died, having no family the dog was taken in by the neighbor for a week until she could find a good home for her...(me and my wife).

Anyway, She is very mild mannered and good in the house, she just has never been taught sit, stay, come, laydown...etc. I am working on these commands with her and feel that she is young enough that she can learn them. I am hoping to get her hunting with my springer next year after she learns obedience.

The problem....she was never kennel trained and seems to have separation anxiety. We are going on the 3rd night in a row where she barks and crys all night in the kennel. We also have to force her to go in the kennel each night as she fights tooth and nail to not go in there.

Any suggestions on how to address this issue...I know everything right now is a big change for her but I thought after a couple nights she would be better but it seems to be getting worse.

never let her win in a month you wont remeber how bad it was you will only rember how great a dog she is.

X2

Invest in some ear plugs! It's how I survived the first week with our pup. Make the crate a good place to be, and never, ever let her out when she whines. Only open the door when she is quiet.

Put her food in there every time, she has to go in to get it, just leave it in the back, leave the door open and walk away. She will go in to eat. Then after a while say kennel and put it in each time. Then kennel and put it in and start shutting the door.

I rarely use treats for training purposes but I would consider it with the kennel. It may help reinforce to her that it isn't a bad place for her. Good luck.

x2

Also put a chew toy that the dog likes in there as well. Make it a fun place for the dog and before you know it you will only have to give a kennel command and the dog will be in. It's all about repetition!!

yeah. mine was the same way. repetition and stubborness worked. like said. if she wins its all over. now my dog goes in just to check out whats in there. he'll also sometimes sleep in there even though he doesn't have to door open and all.

Patience, patience, patience and repetition. Lots of gentle understanding at this point until she gets to know you (and vice-versa) a little better. And the other boys are right...don't let her win. But don't be brutal with her either and scare her....that can REALLY make things worse.

Give us a full report in the spring! Have fun. Wish I could be there to help! Ha!

I have been trying treats....that doesnt work, I will try FC Springers idea and start putting her food dish in there everytime for her to eat....last night was the 4th night in a row of barking all night long after we get her in there....hopfully she will break.

She has adjusted really well to our house and is an excellent/pollite dog when not in the kennel...its only the kennel that freaks her out.

I will let you guys know how everything goes.

The dog is definitely trainable, but it wont happen overnite, lots of repetition. You have to make it an enjoyable place to be. You cant force them in there. The food bowl is a good thing. I used treats (dog bones). If he sat down before I gave him food and did the right thing he got a treat. Dont reinforce bad habits. Once they get with the program they go right in the kennel. It just takes some patience. Dont yell and scream, be firm. It might take a while but dont give up.

All good suggestions here, One questions, where is her kennel? I know with puppies I've had when I first bring them home I put the kennel in my room next to the bed. That way they don't feel completely alone in a brand new environment. I know a puppy whine is different than a grown dog howl but it does seem to calm them some.

What a great holiday surprise for your family!

I should have added, that if she is reluctant, just stick it in as close to the front or door as possible at first with the door open. Then gradually slide them in farther. She may not want to go all the way in right away. But thats OK. She needs to want the food too, so don't be fattening her up on other stuff. smile