• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To mount or not to Mount ?

mabr

Ok guys I'm getting close to 50 and Ive killed my fair share of good bucks. Ive got 2 mounted and 5 European mounts done of NICE bucks I've taken over the years. These were done any where from 25 years ago up until 3 years ago on a Muley in Utah.

I told myself I wouldn't mount another until it made B&C. Well as some might know I got a real nice deer this year after not filling my MN buck tag for over 4 years (in all honesty I cant remember if its 4 or 5) But regardless its a gross 143 5/8 buck which in my opinion is a great deer for anywhere in the US.

Ive looked through the pics post and see some whoppers that some have killed, and for some its a yearly ritual taking 140+ deer. My question to them and them "only" is do you usually mount all these big deer? I've been lucky in my hunting career to taken some NICE deer but there comes a time (at leasts to me) where I have to be realistic.

I have a very understanding wife and all so if one more is on the wall its no biggie to her. But how many deer do you have mounted?

Not to put out those that aren't up there in years but to you seasoned hunters Did you come to a point where mounting was the last thing you thought of? Maybe I'm getting to the grand old stage 5 of the hunters life. I might need to take up guiding or something similar from now on. As long As I get some of the venison. smile

Quick question Hockey, and in no way trying to belittle you I swear. But how many deer have you killed in your career? Ive taken well over a hundred and I don't say that bragging Honestly. Of those 100+, 15 have been over 120 inches. My son (27) said DAD you HAVE to mount it and had I been his age or even 10 years younger than I am now I would agree. But I'm getting to the age where I second guess that. Its still (at least to me) about out smarting them and having that adrenaline rush that goes with it. But to mount it just because its THIS big?

I'm seriously wondering what I should do. $500.0 dollars is a pretty good hunk of change in todays economy. And to add another mount on the wall to gather dust? (please dint take that wrong I respect these animals more than most on her ever will).

I'd like to hear from some folks like BigBucks, Harvey, and a few others that are pretty consistent at taken larger bucks and see what they think.

I'm all for respecting the animal. Ive done it for years and actually pushed one of our party members to mount a small 10 he took a few years ago just for that reason. But when does it stop?

IN an attempt to sound NOT bragging I need to stop trying to explain my dilemma. Hopefully some will understand what I'm asking on here. Yeah A 143 is great deer I don't Deny that. Id have giving my right N--t for him 10 years ago . But its funny how priorities change as we get older.

I am 10 years your junior, so you might be right about changing the thoughts.

I have been lucky enough to score on 5 over 120. Largest is 148.

No idea how many deer I have shot at all. Some years none, some years a couple.

It all comes down to the individual and what they(you) want. I know a guy with 17 whitetails on his wall, and he isnt stopping with the additions. He is around 55 years old.

And there are better deals than $500 to mount one. Of course, plenty that arent so good either that are cheaper.

Thanks Hockey,I didnt want to come of as being arrogant at all. That wasnt my Intent AT ALL!

The $500.00 has alot to do with it. Heck I can skull mount one myself for nothing. But when were lucky enough to get such a great deer I've always felt it deserves better than that.

I have shot 15 or so over 120, a couple when i was younger that scored about 135 for an 8pt that was really pretty that i should of done, my first nice racked one about a 150in 10pt that should of been done, and 4-5 others that should of been done. Money and being young thinking i will get that true giant was part of it.

Well the last two years i have gotten two nice ones- 145in and 155in 8pt in full velvet, both of those are getting done along with my bear and antelope.

More than likely now that i am a bit older 26... and have a little extra fun money i will start mounting anything nice 140+ they just don't fall out of the trees. I wish i would of thought of doing some of my previous nice ones, but the old skull on a plaque is what they got.

Plus a deer of that caliber does like you say does deserve a little better than a plaque plus it gives a guy something to look at and relive the hunt, as with life you never know if you get to go the next year.

It just comes down to personel preference. BigBucks is a good friend of mine and he shot 3 dandies the last 2 years and he is mounting them. I have shot 3 in the 135-140 range the last couple years and I put them on a plaque. For me I want 150 or better before I mount it. I have seen a few in the 150-170 range just have not got them. yet. I am fortunate to hunt some very good areas and have ample time to hunt so it will happen someday. I will patiently wait.

MA if this is your biggest ever you should mount it. Maybe if you get a chance some time soon you could buzz over to my house and check out the two I have mounted and see what you think. They don't look that great on a fuzzy Avater! Again I think the guy I had do my last one did a great job and I think he will give you a pretty good price. wink Leech~~.

Mount it !!! my moto is If I decide to harvest a buck it is going in the wall, now being a taxidermist it is a little eaiser for me but, thier are so many people that are concerned about score, that they forget why we do what we do, dont get me wrong I love to kill big bucks but, sometimes you get so caught up in the moment, and the hunt, that by mounting it (at least for me) when ever I look at it i remember the whole thing all over again. Last year i was at wits end trying to get on any buck, so I seeked the advice of 2 people with endless wisdome, ( my 4, and 8 yr olds) as I was putting them to bed i asked them what stand i should sit in the next Morning, first my daughter, then in a diff. room my son, and to my suprise they both picked the same spot, now that morning the wind was out of the SW the worst wind for the spot they picked, but around 9am here comes a good buck, (not my biggest, he went 124) and well the rest is on the wall.... sorry about the story, just wanted to share, and everyone has their own standards on they want on the wall, and what they consider a trophy, and it sounds like you got your self a tru trophy........sssooooooo put that thing on the wall and congrats.

Life is short, stuff it.

Will you really regret getting a beautiful deer mounted and enjoy looking at it for years to come?

Bingo.

Once it's done, you'll never regret it, but it could be the other way around if you don't. How many is too many? I don't think there is an answer to that. I worked for a taxidermist in Alaska when I lived there that had somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 plus mounts, rugs, birds, fish, etc in his house. It was a museum and it was AWESOME. To some it was too many, to others that still is not enough. grin

Do it!

I would mount it, especially if you have a place for it and you enjoy looking at them. I will mount every nice buck I shoot. I just love looking at all of them. I can't look at them without going back to the hunt even for just a little bit. I would also try and find a taxidermist that maybe will do it for a little less than $500. Yes, the spendy ones are good, but you can find good ones for quite a bit less also.

Well I wouldn't say I've consistently taken large deer, but like paceman said I've taken three dandies in the last two years. One about 140 with the rifle sandwiched between a pair of low 150's with the bow.

The 140 I shot exactly one week after the first bow deer. I really debated on whether I was going to mount that or not. In fact I purposely slit him too far up the chest gutting him to talk myself out of it, now I'll pay for that to be sewn up... My cousin said you're crazy if you don't mount that. I know if you hadn't shot that other one a week ago you wouldn't even consider not mounting it. That simmered for awhile & I thought, yeah he's right, so I took it in. All off season I told myself, well now what's the benchmark for mounting, then I whacked the buck in my avatar in WI & knew he made the grade.

I don't know going forward what the bar is, but I'd say it would likely have to be approaching 150, but it just depends on the deer. In all honesty those are probably the only deer I've shot over 120. (I did shoot a large 2 X 3 muley in 2008, which I just rack mounted.) I have a couple of others that are probably around 100-110. The rest are just little basket racks, from 4-9 points. I don't shoot little bucks anymore unless somebody I'm hunting with is really wanting a deer & willing to tag it, or it's wounded, but that's just me.

I tried to figure it out a year or so ago & was estimating the number of small bucks I've passed on since the first one & put that number in the 50-60 range. I've had the opportunities, so I've passed. If I hadn't shot a bunch of those in the past I'd be shooting. I've killed maybe 20 antlered bucks in my life & around 70 antlerless deer. I get as much kick out of all of them, with the exception of the big ones which naturally are a little more. I think it's got to be a personal decision. Similar to what size fish you mount. I have an 8 1/4 lb. walleye on the wall that's 27 1/2". I won't mount another that size, it was my first, what I call big one. The next one will have to be very close to 10 lbs. &/or 30" long. If I get one great, if I don't that's fine.

I am in the same boat...a beautiful bow buck two weeks ago, and he's going up. Score wise...I don't know, haven't scored him. Pretty sure he'd be my best bow buck by score, and probably make a run at number one overall. I already have 4 shoulder mounts and several nice "plaquers" in the 120's, but this one's going up. It was a real memorable hunt, and he has character points like no other deer I've shot. Just my 2 cents, but I love looking at all of them and reliving the hunt. Good luck in your decision.

I've always said if you don't think it is a mounter right away don't mount it. A trophy should be a no doubt kind of thing, plus if you already have a few on the wall....A trophy is all in the eye of the beholder, if you think it is a trophy and you want to mount it go ahead! Don't feel guilty about no mounting it either-your deer=your call. I have about 10 fish mounted and I understand the hesitation after having many mounts done. And if your going to mount it go with the 500$, if your going to low ball, why do it at all?

For me when I was a kid I asked my uncle about his head mount, he said that wasn't the original cape, the original deteriorated enough he had it redone, for me then I've plaque mounted 16 of the 25 I've taken down, there is no way I could mount 16 heads at 8 grand for them all plus maybe recaping some, I'm not anti-head mount but I never really seem to have my eyes go to the head itself, just the rack generally. For me it's about cost and space and not everyone that visits us enjoys mounted stuff so mabr I think you are in an easy position, you have the memories of that hunting day and all that goes with it, what's left is ceramic. smile

I have shot my share of both archery and rifle bucks. My largest, a 173 score buck was shoulder mounted. I looked at that deer everyday for I'll bet a year. The next nice buck going 153, was mounted on a plaque. I have another Pope & Yound buck that I never did anything with and I do not even know where the antlers are.

I have my share of mounted critters and it's all photo's for me now. When I moved into town 8 years ago I gave away 12 racks that were from 8 to 11 pts and were nice deer. Just no room for them.

I also caught a huge pike over 20 pounds early this summer and I have waited all of my fishing life for that fish. Photo only.

I also have a 10# eye mounted and then caught A 11.5 POUNDER. I thought I had to mount it and when I got it back a year later I asked myself why I did it. Photo's are fine with me.

I'd get it mounted but I also do taxidermy work, 500.00 seems like alot but also check around high prices don't always mean quality work. I've been doing it over 30 years, charge 395.00 and enjoy doing it and try to keep my price fair so the average hunter can feel he's getting a good deal. Also look at what's out there there's all type of forms available now and altering a form or doing a open mouth can make that mount stand out compared to the ones you already have mounted and make that mount seem even more meaningful to you.

Hey that CLOWN tried calling you about an hour ago!!! LOL even left a message.

Am I or am I not? I have to, as someone said previously "you don't kill it unless your going to mount it" thats been my code I preached for a long time now. BUT I'm going to be rethinking what I take in the years to come and I have a strong feeling my attitudes on the whole trophy thing is going to be changing.

Since you are struggling with this so much, what I would do, is cape it out and freeze the cape. Do the skull/antler mount and sit on it for 6 months or a year. If you feel you want the full shoulder mount, you still have the cape in the freezer.

i say mount it yourself. gameheads are about the easiest mount in taxidermy, materials will run you about a hundred bucks. i always wanted to try it myself and last year i did and it turned out pretty good, a friend of mine thought so too and didn't want to spent 400 on a professional mount, so i'm doing it for him, he's buying the materials and i'm doing it for more expierience. you can't wreck the antlers so if it dosen't turn out, your out only material cost.

You know whats funny about that Nontyp is I paid $1,500.00 to learn to do it in the late 80's. I thought it would become my career. Until I realized the time it would take away from my hunting and fishing.

Things have changed alot from when I tried it. We used to use dry preservatives instead of tanning the hide. One of the mounts I have was done by me under the supervision of my teacher and it still looks ok. Theres some cracking and drumming but overall it's still presentable to most.

as for me doing it now. I'm not interested in doing it nor have the time right now.