• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog chasing deer

mitch

I have an 11 month old GSP and today while pheasant hunting we had our first deer encounter. We bumped a deer out of some grass and she tore off after it. She kept up with it for several hundred yards. There was nothing we could do to stop her from chasing it calling, using the e-collar and even firing a shot into the air to break her concentration. She isn't perfect but usually comes when she is called.

When we finally got her back to us the only thing she cared about was the deer scent. Is there anything I can do to make sure she doesn't chase deer like that in the future?

You need to use the ecollar on a higher level. When she gets close to the deer you reach out and touch her at a high stimulation setting. Say nothing to her and do nothing different. Just keep hunting. She needs to learn that deer bite very, very hard.

My dog did that once,

I cranked up the ecollar out of love.

I mean if she would do it again, I could only blame myself.

They learn from repitition and will be testing their boundry.

It's up to you to teach and that is done with patiencs and lots of love

Level 15, my dog gets plenty of good lovin.

And she'll come right by me and get a pat on the head and keep on truckin.

now your being kinda rude

Not being rude at all, I feel the recall is the single most important thing in keeping a gun dog safe, if my dog were to have done this I would have blown a sit whistle, to get him under control, NO HERE and burned or nicked on the way in using indirect pressure. I want to be able to get my dog under control no matter the distraction or distance and be able to recall him as well...

The "Learn and Burn " techneque may work and we do do it at times but there is alot that can go wrong as well. Using indirect pressuse is less likely to back fire.