• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Considering a different lens

If someone thinks I'm crazy for considering this please speak up. I'm thinking of selling my 70-200F4 non IS. I have a guy that really wants it for $550.00, lens is a couple years old and in great shape. Id'e like a little more reach and just can't afford the 100-400 right now. I have tried the 75-300 IS cannon and really didn't care for the image quality nor the AF speed, my passion is BIF and my 70-200 always seemed faster.

I have been researching the new Tamron SP 70-300 F/4-5.6 DI VC USD it seems to have some pretty good reviews host a new USD motor and has VC. Conserned about AF speed the most and of course image quality. Another thing i can't seem to find out is if the barrel extends out as you zoom or does the barrel lenght stay the same through out the zoom range? I don't want a lens with a barrel that extends.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciative

Todd

Yes the Tamron lens extends. I think the only xx-300mm zooms that don't extend are the Sigma 100-300 F/4 and 120-300 F/2.8.

Have you thought about getting the Canon 1.4x teleconverter? It will get you out to 280mm @ F/5.6 and probably have better IQ than the Tamron.