• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington 700 Lawsuits and such.

So I really don't pay much attention to the big news lawsuits that pop up in the news from time to time. But after an incident I had during opening weekend, I've become more aware of this one.

On opening day we were returning to woods after pulling a couple animals out.

I was holding my Rem 700 in my left hand with the butt of the stock resting on my right leg as I inserted 3 rounds into the magazine. I pushed the bolt handle closed as you normally would. As I rotated and locked the bolt with my right hand the rifle discharged into the air. My hands never left either the stock or the bolt handle.

Afterward, was did more research on this issue with the 700s and it shows the connector in the bolt and stick which has been causing this type AD in older models of the rifle.

I just to drop a word to everyone to be safe and watch your muzzle direction at all times.

In this case, I had 3 persons within 10-15 feet of myself when this happened. Luckily the only issue, besides everyone needing to clean out their pants, was the muzzle was no more than 18" from the side of my head when it discharged. I'm just now getting partial hearing back in my left ear.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The professionals that have said they have a bad trigger have testified in court that its not a defective trigger. They say that people do not clean the trigger assembly and that some change the trigger pull. Thats what been stated in court.

I personally own 8 of these guns and have used them for many years with not one issue. I have no fear of them at all.

I get a kick out of the people that say sue, sue, sue. That seems to be the new American way, say it's another s fault and then sue them.

I'm not saying sue. I'm saying be safe.

I have 4 - 700s and I haven't had any issues in the past. Matter of a fact I will still buy more of them.

It's not a dirty action. I have spoken to buddies on local SWAT teams and they have had issues with theirs as well.

So Tator2k, have you or the swat guys heard of any permanent fix? I don't want my 700 to go off when I am not pulling the trigger! I have thought of putting a timiney trigger assembley in but I believe that trigger was based on the 700's. In all honesty I don't know if I trust Remington to FIX IT.

I read the following on a different forum. I would call Remington to verify before completing.

Safety Modification Program

Remington Model 700 & Model 40-X

If you own a Remington Model 700 or Model 40-X rifle:

Only those Model 700 or 40-X rifles made before March 1982 were manufactured with a bolt-lock mechanism. Model 700 or 40-X rifles made after March 1982 do not have a bolt-lock mechanism and may be loaded and unloaded with the safety in the “S” or “On Safe” position. Consequently, post-1982 Model 700 or 40-X rifles are not subject to this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program.

To determine whether your Model 700 or 40-X rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism, either:

• Call Remington toll-free at 1-877-387-6691 and a service representative will help you determine if your firearm has a bolt-lock mechanism, or

• Take your Model 700 or 40-X rifle to a Remington Authorized Repair Center and a qualified gunsmith will examine your firearm and determine whether it has a bolt-lock mechanism.

If your Model 700 or 40-X rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism, it is eligible for this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program. If you participate, your firearm will be cleaned and inspected for proper functioning by a qualified gunsmith. Once the condition of your firearm has been assessed, you will be notified of one of the following:

• Your firearm’s trigger assembly is otherwise in good operating condition, and the gunsmith will proceed to physically remove the bolt-lock feature so that your rifle can be loaded and unloaded while the safety remains in the “S” or “On Safe” position; or

• Your rifle’s trigger assembly is found to be in an unsatisfactory or potentially unsafe operating condition because of any number of factors, including wear, alteration or maintenance. The entire trigger assembly will be replaced with a new factory trigger assembly, which does not incorporate a bolt-lock mechanism.

In either case, the total cost to you is $20 plus shipping and handling. You will also receive a safety redemption certificate to complete and submit in order to receive a free blaze orange hat (one hat per certificate).

How to participate in the Safety Modification Program

Complete the General Repair Form and

Send or deliver your firearm and the completed repair form to either:

a) A Remington Authorized Repair Center; or

B) Ship your firearm to the Remington factory at:

Remington Arms Company, Inc.

Ilion Firearms Plant

Attention: BL Safety Program

14 Hoefler Avenue

Ilion, NY 13357

Remington will bill or arrange for payment once your firearm is received and evaluated.

CAUTION: It is your responsibility to comply with all laws and regulations regarding transportation or shipping of your firearm. Absolutely no ammunition should be packaged with the firearm whether loaded in the firearm itself or included in the shipping container. The firearm should be transported only in a completely unloaded condition.

If you go to Remington's Web site, you can find their video and written response to the so-called news story that got everyone talking about the 700. I'm not saying I know who is telling the truth, but it casts a very different light on the situation than was reported.

As one would expect, of course.

But it's worth taking the time to read/hear these.

Man mine is a 1981 or 1982 model, will have to go to dad's farm and pull the file, so if it's a 1981 it should get looked at and if it was a 1982 I'm clear ? I saw the report 2x on CNBC, didn't like seeing people push the bolt forward and seeing the gun go off with no touch of the trigger or whatever I was seeing, got all remington guns, somewhat disturbing.

If you go to Remington's Web site, you can find their video and written response to the so-called news story that got everyone talking about the 700. I'm not saying I know who is telling the truth, but it casts a very different light on the situation than was reported.

As one would expect, of course.

But it's worth taking the time to read/hear these.

Didn't the trigger designer himself more or less state that the trigger mechanism was faulty and requested that his bosses at Remington fix it.....DECADES ago. This isn't some Johnny come lately problem.

Didn't the trigger designer himself more or less state that the trigger mechanism was faulty and requested that his bosses at Remington fix it.....DECADES ago. This isn't some Johnny come lately problem.

You of all people should know better than to bleat before you inform yourself. You've poked at plenty of other posters who have done the same thing you just did. whistle

The CNBC guy interviewed him and you all should watch the story then make your judgement about it, all I know is the guns they were showing firing weren't rugers or weatherby's or brownings or whatever, they were exactly what I have and it disgusts me that hard to believe I know but that the issue and complaints were seemingly swept under the rug, I know keep an open mind and there's likely more to the story I agree. It's tough when the guy who designed the trigger assembly says he knew of the problem so long ago, he's admitting his own failures then Remington says well they modified the gun and then some guy shows his gun swearing no modifications and turns the bolt and bang so it's a yucky one to figure out, lord knows these big time companies would never ever lie, that's a big part of our country telling lies, getting tougher to weed out the truth.

I don't think Remington lawyers would want the company to admit to any of this. They would have a huge law suit. Unfortunatly it doesn't fix anything either. Of course Remington will deny having any problems with there 700 model gun. Its not just a problem with the person using the gun but everybody else as well. I could see a class action lawsuit here.

What are you talking about? They interviewed the designer and they showed the sketches of the proposed "fix".

crazy

And I'm telling you that unless you read and watch Remington's responses, you won't really hear both sides of the story. I saw the CNBC piece, and as someone who was in the news reporting business for 15 years, I thought it was a shameful piece of so-called "journalism."

I'm NOT saying there's no problem with the 700, or that Remington is innocent. I AM saying the CNBC piece didn't do much of the job telling the story, and that anyone who wants to form an opion based on who said what should hear what they all have to say first.