• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CO killed in the line of duty

FAIRFIELD, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania Game Commission officer was shot to death in the line of duty, sparking a search for a man police say should be considered armed and dangerous.

The wildlife conservation officer was shot and killed Thursday night in Freedom Township, southwest of Gettysburg, game commission spokesman Jerry Feaser said Friday. Feaser declined to discuss details of the shooting or release the slain officer's name.

State police were searching for a 27-year-old man they wanted to interview about the shooting. Authorities labeled the man, Christopher Lynn Johnson, a "person of interest." He may be injured and in need of medical treatment and should be considered armed and dangerous, authorities said. Police are also looking for a 1999 blue Chevrolet pickup.

"This was a malicious act," Feaser told The Associated Press. The last time a game commission officer was killed in the line of duty was 1915, he said.

Online court records list a Christopher Lynn Johnson with a history of burglary convictions and a 2005 guilty plea to a charge of fleeing an officer and endangering the welfare of children.

Authorities were called to the scene around 10:30 p.m. Thursday and discovered the officer fatally wounded, state police said.

Really tragic news. These people have to deal with people with guns everyday, a reminder to cut them some slack when they ask to see your hunting license.

i know we have had a few lively threads on the co topic lately, and while i do respect people's concern over search and seizure laws and 2nd/4th amendment issues, but it seems a little trivial and ridiculous when something like this happens. can you imagine how this guys family and friends would feel about some of the concerns expressed here lately? these guys do have a tough job and most do a good job. unlike most of our jobs, theirs can be a matter of life and death....for the purpose of securing our ability to go out and catch a couple of fish.......

while i do respect people's concern over search and seizure laws and 2nd/4th amendment issues, but it seems a little trivial and ridiculous when something like this happens.

This has nothing to do with search and seizure. This is about some crazy person shooting an authoritative figure. It happens all the time with LEOs (even though it shouldn't).

I'm actually pretty impressed they haven't had a similar incident since 1915. Tells me overall, sportsman/women are not to be feared and just because someone is carrying a weapon, that does not make them dangerous.

God bless the officer and his family.

Quote:

I'm actually pretty impressed they haven't had a similar incident since 1915. Tells me overall, sportsman/women are not to be feared and just because someone is carrying a weapon, that does not make them dangerous.

God bless the officer and his family.

COs have a higher rate of being killed in the line of duty than other cops, so I'll respectfully disagree in part with what you said. Its a more dangerous job in many respects than "normal" policemen.

That being said I don't think we should fear the average outdoorsman, most are upstanding citizens and you are right, they shouldn't be feared just because they have a gun