• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats better???

Norco

Question

I just finished reading the post on the fasher info and was wondering if they are a whole lot better then a portable fish finder such as the Hummingbird 200dx. I have one on my boat and seen a kit you can buy to make it portable. Should I do that for 100 cnd or spend the $450.00 cnd for the flasher.

17 answers to this question

The flashers are real time, where the graph is what was down there a while ago. I use a FL-18, and it is almost cheating when there are finicky fish. You can see them come up and check out your bait. You know when you are going to get a bite.

If you seriously read all the posts on flashers you will know that we in general are a huge fan of the Vexilar Flasher units and support their popularity and use on the ice as well as open water 110%.

PCG

The VEX is the only way to go!!!!!!!

I would think with a graph your bobber would already be down before you seen the fish on the screen not much point then. With the VEX if the fish are agressive you can watch them right away come off the bottom and take your bait right back down.I think I would almost put the vex ahead of anything else as priority wise but then again it was pretty nice on the ice today 35 and sunny did not even use house or heater.35 below prioritys change. LOL

If your anticapating fishing in a crowd the vex is the way to go because of the interferrence they throw off. If yor planing on being alone then most $200 plus sounders will out perform a Vex hands down. This isnt an opinon its fact. Ive heard enough about Vex's and its all hype. Ofcoarse what do I know, Ive only been using sounders since there inception to the fishing comunity. grin.gif

S.T. ,.....I don't understand your reasoning? Please explain why you think(know) That a vex can be outperformed when theres no interference to deal with. What kind of flasher do you own? How do you like it and why?

[This message has been edited by Bigguns1 (edited 12-27-2002).]

Let's see...

Zercom is a waste of time, money and space.

Marcum is too new to be proven or disproven.

And Vexilar has 2 Flasher units that kick a$$.

The old green box and Silent Sixty model flashers aren't hardly sensitive enough, and don't provide 3 color readouts....

So support YOUR fact that there are better units then Vex by telling us what they are!!!!!!!!!

PCG

Well I guess If as guy makes a claim he better back it up.
The first misconception I see is thinking a flasher is somehow superior on the ice. I'll take a graph or video any day over a flasher. Its got history, theres more power, better features, better separation. Even the cheapest model of graphs have a zoom. Vex had to come out with the FL-18 and charge $400 for it. A graph shows stationary objects and fish as a straight line and clutter as specks. With a flasher everything is a flashing led. So any interference or clutter on a flasher are lite leds. So as an example when the plankton come off the lake bottom this leaves the flasher useless.
A vex puts out a constant 400 watts and gain is controlled by the receiving end of the sounder. Most graphs and videos increase in wattage when depth is increased. Still leaving the user to control the gain, which I like better because it gives more control. Look at the materials the vex is made out of. They look like a cheap toy. Then compare to a midrange graph. The materials and engineering are no where close. But more importantly is whats inside. A vex is just old technology with a couple updates. Remember, flashers were the first sounders on the market.
Why do I own a Vex? Because they interfere with other sounders. If I'm in my shack and someone pulls up with a Vex I'm screwed with most graphs and videos.
Vex's show an instant display? So do graphs or close to it. Within a slit second and thats close enough for me.

Ok heres some midrange sounders that out perform a vex easily.
Garmin 240, Eagle fishmark 240,Lowrance x91. All are all under $300.
Yes a vex is good but there are better sounders and cost less.

I just looked at the x91 and they wanted $429.
What I really like about the vex is you can see your lure drop down, then see a fish come up to it, if it doesn't go for it, then you can try to fix the problem, Right?

Well....

I must be the dumb one of the group, but I swear I can read an FL-8 far better then the $500 Bottom Line in my boat....Maybe better wording is..I can find fish alot easier.

If you know how to read an FL-8...well nevermind...either you do or will learn to or ya don't know how and you won't.

Stationary objects show up as a solid line.... a fish that is constantly in the cone angle will too...

Flashers have better seperation...and when it's -20 outside how well is your LCD gonna work?

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 12-28-2002).]

PCG, Learn to use a flasher? LOL
Been using sounders probably longer then you've been on this earth. Ive used dozens of sounders for thousands of hours over 20 some years. So dont come here and disrespect me pal.
I take your comment(s) as an insult and Im done with you.

I make my decisions on what sounders I use by my observations and experiences from using them. I give up the benefits of my Interphase 620 and Interphase 20/20 video and use a Vex only because Vex's interfere with them. If I know no one is going to be a round me with a Vex then I use one of my other sounders.

Ive used a LCR's in -30 with no problems.
If your using 2 six volt lantern batteries that is most likely the problem.

No disrespect intended. I was making an honest and true statement directed at the general population of anglers.

Either they know how to read them already, will learn to in the future, don't know how to read them, or won't learn how to read them. What other possibilities are there???

Again ST, no disrespect intended, and the post wasn't directed at you specifically...I a, just stating my opinions...you know how the phrase goes.

LCD's in my experience have been known to get pretty slow when it gets chilly outside. But that's just me...

remember, I am still learning too.

PCG

I'm still confused and can't see how anything is superior to a flasher on the ice. Fish are clearly spotted along with all movements and are real time, I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of plankton problems. Its never been an issue.

PCG, I guess intension's over the internet are difficult to determine. Peace
Bigguns, I dont know where the misconception came from that grahps dont work on ice. They show bottom density, thermopile's, minnows, jigs, sinkers and fish all in "Real Time" plus it gives you history of what has happened. I feel a CRT or LCR screen gives me more information then 3 colors of flashing LED's.
Its nice to just plunk the iceducer in the hole and your in business with a Vex. With a little ingenuity you can make a case and iceducer for you Graph or Video sounder.