Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Which Power Auger?

35 posts in this topic

I've decided I need a power auger this year. It'll probably be a Strikemaster, because they are readily available in my area and I've heard good things about their customer service. I usually fish for panfish, walleye sometimes. I'm on foot, so weight is a concern. I'm looking at a 2hp, with an 8" auger. But, which model? Is there any advantage of one blade type over another?

Mike

I've got a 2hp/8" Lazer Mag.It's a lot nicer lugging around than my 9" 3hp Jiffy I used to run. Hav'nt had a bit of trouble with it. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat if need be.

They have a nice, basic 2hp eskimo for sale at the sportsman warehouse for $215.

Looks like a nice auger for the money.

I have a Strikemaster Lazer 6" and have had it for what 5 years now and it has been a great unit. Got it as a dispay model for $150. Never had to change the spark plug in it either. I run 93 oct. in her and every season I run out the remaider of the gas in the tank and that's it. Always starts on the 2nd pull.

I have a Jiffy, may dad has a Jiffy (20 years). The Lightning 2 HP is the way to go with a 8" blade. They are the best. Lazer's don't cut with a dull blade, and it doesn't take much to dull one.

I have a 3 hp Strikemaster Lazer XL-3000, cuts a 10-inch hole.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get a 2 hp 8-inch, because it's WAY lighter, and panfish and walleye fisherman will never catch either of those species too big to get through an 8-inch hole. And I know a guy with a whopper lake trout (30 pounder, I think), who got that through an 8-inch hole. Also, if you're targeting really big fish, you can cut two overlapping holes.

Brand? Sorry Strikemaster, I'd get a Jiffy. My Strikemaster cuts great, and I'm happy with it.

But . . .

I like that Teflon coated chipper blade Jiffy offers. Jiffy is a little heavier than a Strikemaster of the same size because Jiffy makes heavier gears than the aluminum Strikemaster ones. However, eighth year on this XL-3000 with no sign of wear in the gears.

As for the motors, both brands use the same Tecumsehs, so there's no difference there.

And a small peeve? My Strikemaster gas cap is in the center of the gas tank. Jiffies are on one side. What this means is that I can only fill my tank half full because of the position of the cap on the tank (when you lay it down, a tank more than half full leaks out the cap, no matter how you close it). On the Jiffy, you can lay it so the cap's on the top side, and a nearly full tank can't drip gas.

Good luck. Bottom line is, if you buy a Jiffy, Strikemaster or Eskimo in the size of your choice, you'll be getting a good auger. The all run, they all cut, and the rest is just gravy. grin.gif

The only motor that the Lazer gas cap is in the center on is the 3 hp model...And nobody needs a 3 hp motor on their auger.

I've got a Strikemaster Mag 2000 w/ a 7.25" chipper blade (2hp) - got it last Feb at Wal-Mart - was a clearance item - paid $174.

So far- the little I've used it - it does the job - the chipper might be a little slower cutting, but its still faster than me turning a hand auger. Didn't notice any icing problems last year.

One other option so far as blades is concerned is that you could always get a upgraded auger/blade system at a later date - something I might do at some point.

UG

8" 2 hp Lazer Mag Express, with the new point blade system, on sale, $299 at Blaine Hardware. They only have one left.

I wouldn't own anything but a Lazer.

PCG

Well iam sure iam going to get ripped by the lazer owners but i have to plug my 7inch Lightning Jiffy. I like jiffy v.s the lazer for a couple of different reasons. The biggest being the D-icer armor on the jiffy. Ice and water wont freeze to the blade. You need to make sure all the ice chunks are off the lazer and even in very cold conditions you will still get ice build up on the blades. I also like the larger gear box on the jiffy. My lazer always stopped half way down the hole. I got the new Jiffy Stealth for x-mas and can't wait to try it. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 12-26-2002).]

Thanks everyone! The reason I'm leaning towards the Strikemaster over the Jiffy - there are no Jiffy dealers anywhere near me. I don't want to order it.

Uncle Grump, I was wondering about the chipper blade. To do it again, would you spend the extra $80 for the model with two blades? Right now, the ice sucks in Michigan, I might just wait to see what goes on sale! LOL

Mike

I've had an old Strikemaster chipper and it was extremely dependable. I won a Jiffy 3HP in a contest so I sold it. I was so dissapointed in the way the Jiffy ran (bah..bah....bah....kill...repeat twice) Go out to the lake and you'll hear what I mean :-) I can tell a Jiffy from across the lake hehe. It was also a real bear to lug around. I sold it and picked up a Lazer (2 blade) and I lived happily ever after! I haven't used a 3 blade yet and can hardly imagine how it could be better. I cut through used holes in the shack with ease. That's good for smashed knuckles with a chipper blade model.

Good Luck,
Ferny.

The 3 blade strikemaster is very smooth and cuts through ice like a hot knife threw butter!

I did notice the problem with ice freezing to the blades. I just carry a small rag with and wipe them off after I'm done cutting.
And wow are them blades are sharp. I was wiping one off and cut my self on it.

So far that is the only problem I noticed on the strikemaster.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

I just got a Jiffy Legend 3hp w'9" blade for Christmas. It is not opened yet. Should I open it or take it back for something else. I have heard that 3hp last longer, is that true and is it worth carrying around an extra 7 lbs, which seems like the difference between 2hp and 3hp.

Pro Crappie Guide:

You're right. Nobody needs a 3 hp. But that's the one I've got. And that's the one I'll keep until I can get rich.

So do you think if I salvaged a tank off a 2 hp Lazer it would fit on my 3 hp? That would eliminate the center-cap problem.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-27-2002).]

You could salvage the tank...that's a good idea....

And D-Man...I USED to own a Jiffy...Does that count?

PCG

PCG:

Also, does Strikemaster or someone else sell an aftermarket gas cap that doesn't leak? They are all Tecumsehs, but I'm told a Jiffy replacement cap, the kind that doesn't leak, won't fit a Strikemaster.

I own the lazer mag and wouldn't even take a jiffy if someone gave it to me. What could be better than just being able to stand there and hold the auger while it drillls the hole itself. You don't have to press down at all. Just hold on and keep the head from turning. Its light and always starts with ease. I've never had a problem with the blades icing up because after I drill my last hole I always move over a little bit and cut a shallow hole, maybe two or three revolutions. Seems to get the water off of the blade and she is ready to go again.

Bushwacker,

Exchange it. Ive got a jiffy 3hp. Runs pretty good. Cuts good. But,too dang heavy!! If I had to do it over again,( tough to justify now ) I would definitly go 2hp. Too bad I was'nt reading FM before I bought it. Brand might make a little difference, but weight makes ALOT of difference.