• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12 V LED Rope lighting field test

Question

This rope lighting stuff is too cool not to recommend.

I am in the process of rigging a Frabill speed shack XL with 12V rope lighting (no big deal a few zip strips and Bada-Bing-Bada Boom, your done). My boat gets the full treatment next.

A handy feature is it can be cut to length anyplace along it's full length, in 6" intervals. The simple screw on fittings make it very easy to work with. Just screw on the lead, cap the cut end, and your set. Simple enough, even for me.

They say 20' will draw 9 amps max, they also recommend to not run more then 20' off one 12V power source.

I think we will see a lot more of this product used in marine and other outdoors application in the near future.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-12-2003).]

5 answers to this question

Tech yada-yada about the 12V Rope.

12 Volt - 3/8" or 1/2" Rope Light
3.36 watts per foot
33.6 watts of light for 10 ft. of ropelight
67.2 watts of light for 20 ft. of ropelight
Approximately 5.6 amps for 20 Ft. run
Lamps spaced every 1"

(Good Rope)Temperature variable: +140 to - 40 degrees F
(Bad Rope, avoid PVC) +100 to +32, beware what you buy!

True 12 Volt Lighting - No transformer required but can be used in 12 volt ac applications such as landscape lighting from a 12 volt ac transformer.

How long will the 12 volt lights stay lit with a 10 Amp Hour Battery?

A lot of variables here like the quality of the battery, the age of the battery, as well as the manufacturer of the battery.

This size battery (similar to a motorcycle battery) would power 20 ft of 12 volt ropelight for approximately 1.5 hours to fully drained.

Deep cycle marine batteries rated at 80 amp hours would power a 20 foot section for
approximately 9 to 12 hours, again depending upon the battery. Or if it is in a series with another 12 V battery.

Keep in mind that turning lights on and off multiple time shortens the length of time as the surge when turning lights on draws more current than just leaving them on.

Depending on the application you have a lot of options with this stuff.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-12-2003).]