• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many BTU's?

crappie todd

Question

I have a fish trap guide. I use a coleman lantern to provide heat and light. It takes the chill out of the air but is a hassle to bring with and take care of.

After reading all the good things of the Princeton lights I decided I would try them. However I need to heat the trap.

Does anyone know roughly how many BTU's a lantern puts out?

More importantly what would be a good replacement for heat. I have read problems with the Buddy's and am a little suspicious of them blowing out now.

cheers

3 answers to this question

I have a fish trap guide. I use a coleman lantern to provide heat and light. It takes the chill out of the air but is a hassle to bring with and take care of.

After reading all the good things of the Princeton lights I decided I would try them. However I need to heat the trap.

Does anyone know roughly how many BTU's a lantern puts out?

More importantly what would be a good replacement for heat. I have read problems with the Buddy's and am a little suspicious of them blowing out now.

cheers

Chadly, I've had a buddy heater since last season and fish out of a 2 man Eskimo. I recommend it! It has blown out a couple times but its a minor compared to breathing sunflower fumes and listening to them hiss at you. I agree with you on the coleman route. I had to put new mantels on again last night. Seems like every time you use it you have to put new ones on and replace a globe once a year to boot! I used a headlight last night and was surprised at how handy it was...until the bulb burnt out:-(
Ferny

I have a Trap II, forerunner to your Guide. I heat it with a Coleman Black Cat, which puts out 4,000 btus. That's warm enough to about zero, but then not warm enough. I have a Coleman Northstar single mantle propane lantern that puts out at least half again as much heat as the Cat. I've run them both full blast when it's really cold, but man do I get a headache from the fumes. frown.gif

Now I have the headlamp, so don't need the lantern, and love leaving that hassle behind. Don't know what I'll do when it's seriously cold and I want to fish. Guess I'll get a Buddy. Been looking at them a couple years, never seem to want to part with the $75 when they're on clearance.