• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 wheeler float ?

mjhowe

Question

10 answers to this question

Just had a friend break through 3 days ago on a Polaris. Big guy about #300. He said the scariest thing about all of it was how fast the wheeler flipped over. He said it felt like it was trying to push him under the ice. He was all alone but luckly in only 3 to 4 feet of water. He did use the wheeler to stand on to get out but it was on the bottom. Glad it wasn't me.

There are a few lakes around here that require floatation on ATVs and sleds. The floatation devices have to be inspected by the sherrifs dept who then issue a certificate/Sticker saying your legal.
Anyways , the law requires 5 cubic feet of floatation total fastened to front and back of your ATV and 8 for sleds. This is enough to keep your ATV afloat should you go through. I think most ATVs will float without floatation devices but as has been said already , they float upside down.

I place (2) 14' or 16' 2x4's strapped on the front and back racks on my ATV if I am venturing on unfamiliar lakes. A CO taught me that trick, I guess it prevented his machine from falling to the bottom of the lake once. If the ATV breaks through the ice, the boards will keep the ATV from flipping, or submerging the engine, and easier to recover. I guess it all depends on how the ice breaks around the wheeler....

Michael , Floatation is required on the chain of lakes around Madison, WI. No cars/truck traffic is allowed at all there.
Guess they got tired of dudes sinkin thier vehicles in the area lakes. The rest of the state is normal though. LOL

Michael, I am pleased to report that I cannot answer your question smile.gif I hope I never find out. Strapping some foam or boards to your ATV sounds like a great idea and I thank the above persons for suggesting it.