• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.223 Deer Hunting Ammo

My first post in quite awhile. Feels good to be back. Glad to have access to all of the information provided here.

I am searching for thoughts on a solid .223 round to use for deer hunting this year?

I am leaning towards the Hornady TAP ballistic tip 55grain.

Seems like a pretty nasty little round that I will not have to adjust the scope on my rifle for too much since I use it for other purposes everyday with 55grain FMJ Federal boat-tail rounds.

and also..

Wondering if anyone else out here has used their .223 for deer hunting and to what level of success?

That being said...

I AM NOT LOOKING TO START A DEBATE ABOUT USING A .223 FOR DEER HUNTING. PLEASE SAVE THOSE COMMENTS FOR SOMEONE ELSE. I HAVE ALREADY DECIDED I AM GOING TO TAKE THE AR-15 DEER HUNTING WITH ME THIS YEAR. DONE AND DONE.

I am just looking for a healthy conversation regarding anyones experience with using .223 ammo for deer hunting.

Thank you!

Personally, I would stay away from a ballistic tip because of the rapid expansion/lack of penetration. I have almost lost deer using a ballistic tip in my .30-06 because it goes in and expands so fast, you have almost no chance for an exit wound/reliable blood trail, especially with one .224 dia. hole in the animal. I would be looking for something a little heavier (heaviest that the gun will stabilize based on rifling) and i would also lean towards something bonded or a partition type. I see that federal lists a 60 grain nosler partition on their HSOforum, I would be thinking more along those lines. Also, regardless of what bullet you decide on, I would not assume that because it is the same grain, i will shoot the same as your current round. I know the TAP FPD uses a flash suppressant in their powder because of the intended use, which may affect the characteristics of the round. Just something to think about. All this being said, I have no doubt that a well placed shot with a .223 can do the trick on a deer, just be patient and stay away from the quartering toward shots, etc.

I have been thinking about using the AR-15 this year aswell. One store here in town has 2 big game rounds. Federal Fusion which is a 62 grain bullet Winchester Power Point which is a 64 grain bullet. Im using the Fusion witn my .270, but havent been succesful yet.

I beleive barnes makes a triple shock bullet in 70grains. I think that would be an awesome bullet to use. as troutking stated, a lighter ballistic tip might not be a good choice due to it's rapid expansion. The Barnes TSX bullet is a great bullet to use. Yes you will need to sight in again, but the good news is, you get to shoot your AR. Good luck

I purchased the winchester power point last week in the 64 grain. The round was only 1 inch high and left from where my scope is set. So I liked that due to not having to mess with anything too much. Problem is I had a couple of cartridges that the primer was struck and the round never went off.

Maybe it was just a bad box. I fired 30 Federals that afternoon with no issues. But now I am a little "round shy" in thinking I may have a bad box and would hate to have a round not do its job when I need it too.

I did not know that Federal Fusion made a 62 grain round. That is something I may have to look into.

And I have never even heard of the Barnes TSX. Exactly why I posted this! grin Another round to check out!

I was thinking a neck shot with a Ballistic Tip round would just be devastating. Maybe even a head shot if the situation is right.

I am not talking long distance shooting. Just 50 yds max.

I found the Barnes TSX on their HSOforum. Got a box to try out. Gonna shoot some Frozen Milk Jugs and Watermelon. Just to see...

also.. I learned today that PMC actually has some Rifle Rounds with a Barnes TSX tip.

The HSOforum has loaded ammunition for sale from CorBon, Black Hills, Etc..

so you were def right with the Black Hills guess earlier.

I had a friend/gun shop owner order the rounds for me today.

I must have missed that link.....Sounds good. Your pocket book is a little lighter I fear though. I am guessing you are paying close to 60bucks for 50 rounds? That is part of the reason I started reloading, when Black Hills and Hornady and the rest of the manufacturers standing jacking their prices....

I shot a nice doe with a hand loaded 53 grain barns triple shock with my T/C encore pro hunter. destroyed the lungs, went 20 yards. I would guess your AR has a 1:9 twist so you should be able to go with a the 62 grain or maybe even the 70 grain.

I do have the 1:9 twist

But I am going to go with the 55 grain so that I do not have to mess with my scope too much/if at all.

I hope to find some success so that I can put an update on here.

Thanks everyone!