• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anti-Backlash reels

Question

Has anybody tried the Abu Garcia anti-backlash reels, what did you think? I would like to use more baitcasting equipment for bass and trolling but have limited knowledge on the subject. Any suggestions on some decent reels in the middle price ($60 to $120). Any input would be much appreciated.

7 answers to this question

I have fished Ambassadeur's for years and my current XLT Plus is 15 years old and works as good as new. I troll large Raps for Eye's and would not think of using anything else.
The trick is to learn to thumb when casting, but first adjust the drag and let the lure free fall to the ground. Keep adjusting and dropping until the reel stops over running when the lure hits the floor.
Like anything in this business, practice until it feels natural. 80-100 should get you a good reel.Go to a large sports store and get the feel of several differnt brands and models.
You will not go wrong with Garcia
Enjoy, You will love it.
Rooster

I personally am a Shimano man, but have owned several different models and shimano keeps me coming back for thier reliability and the smoothness of the gears. I have a friend that owns one of those anti-lash reels and he is a youngster with bait casters-not that young though. Certain applications they will not lash-out, but throw heavy baits with the wind and there is no guantee. Take advice from Rooster and learn how to set the reel you buy. Once you own a baitcaster you will love it.

i afraid there is really no such thing as atotally back lash free reel. you have to educate your thumb and adjust the tension like the guys are saying. once you learn and prcatice, they work great . i use a lot of diawa, no matter wich brand, the price range you talked about will put you into a good quality reel. just find one that you like!

I have not tried the reel but I believe that anyone uses that style of reel will not learn how to use a bait caster. once you go back to a regular bait caster theres nothing but birds nests, I guess if you want to learn or inprove the skills keep up with the regular bait caster.

The Abu anti-backlash reel is really backlash proof! The problem though is that it really cuts down your distance and you lose all accuracy. To control your distance you need to thumb the spool. The mechanisim doesn't work with braided lines and will only handle up to twelve pound mono. However, you can run the line under the mechanism and use it like any other baitcaster. All in all, it would be an allright starter reel for beginners.

Super Ron

------------------
Ron Anlauf's Guide Service http://fishingminnesota.com/ranlauf/ Phone: 320-396-2133

Ron is exactly right...no backlash...but it does restrict your distance. I used one for two weeks and returned it, I didnt care for it at all. The Abu Garcia baitcasters in that price range are still very good reels when you have backlash turned off. PERSONALLY, I have a Quantum ACS Iron baitcaster, and i LOVE it. Good distance on the casts, great drag, and extremely smooth. I think I paid $70 or $80 for mine.