• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Trap vs Otter vs Eskimo

Big-Al

Question

Looking at the Fish Trap Voyageur, Otter Large Resort, and the Eskimo Grand Caravan, and possibly the double flip models.

What are the positives and negatives of each brand. Wanting something with ample room for two. How do they compare as far as durability, use in strong wind, ease of setup, etc.

16 answers to this question

Im my opinion the Eskimo is probly the cheapest of the bunch--the fish trap probly the more deluxe of the bunch--with nice window/air vents/built in seats if you like them/pockets inside & some refelctive strips on the outside---the otter is probly the best built of the bunch with a heavier duty sled & canvas--it is also the warmest of the bunch--it also has windows & air vents

Pikechaser

On the Eskimos - I will agree on the subject of the sled - its lighter than the Otter sled. I have a QF3 - and it has all the little things you mention - air vents(4), storage pockets (2), windows (in the door and
back side. Also has the reflector strips in the corners, came with two chairs too.
The tent itself is a heavy nylon material - not the canvas Otter supplies, but then it
doesn't have the Otter price tag either - and money was an issue for me.

Not a bad shelter for the money.

UG

Eskimo=Chevy
FishTrap=Buick
Otter=Caddy
I went for the Eskimo QuickFlipII mainly because I'm CHEAP! and I didn't want a heart attack when pulling it around like my original 1 man FishTrap with the big tub ~15 yrs old. I see Fleet had the QFIII for $319 I don't think anybody can touch it for the price. I am a having wear issue on one corner of my shack since the fabric is lighter weight. Now that I have seen it I will be keeping an eye on it.

Ferny.

save your pennies and break open that little piggy and splurge on an otter when you can,.... its well worth it. Do it right the first time. I haven't seen many of the esk. in action but the fish aare nice if you're fishing a lake less than 2 acres, above 20 degrees and the wind is below 10 mph. But a fishtrap in conditions other than these,....and you'll be having quite a time. They work just as good as a sail in the wind. You'll end up using propane like its going out of style. And you'll have a whole in you're sled on its first across the frozen gravel. I don't know what Mr. Genz was thinking.

You people gotta be kidding! 'What was Mr. Genz thinking'what kind of comment is that?What's the deal- do you drag your 'trap down the freeway behind your truck, grinding the sled into the pavement? I have had my Fishtrap 1 for eight years, dragged it over tar,cement,gravel, sand,and towed it behind moving vehicles( not on 35W,mind you),and have yet to see even a hint of a hole in the sled. Same goes for my newer Fishtrap 3. That is not to say that USL didn't cheapen up the newer sleds on the Fishtrap line. I don't like the design of the newer traps, so I won't be buying one anyway.Oh,well, it's the Ford vs. Chevy mentality, again. Nothing against the Otter, or Eskimo. Nice shacks for someone other than me that doesn't own either one.

Thanks for the comments. Went out and purchased a used Otter Resort. Paid the same as I would have for a new Fish Trap Voyageur. I do believe it was worth the money. The quality is obvious. There are no vents in this model like the new ones though, I think I will be adding them.

I will be putting it on the ice this afternoon to see how it performs in the wind. Blowing at close to 20.

The otter is definately the cadillac but caddys are expensive and heavy! In my opinion you get the best of all possible worlds with the fish trap. But then again, I have never been accused of being very bright.
Dave

I'd have to agree with big dave I have a fish trap a buddy of mine has an otter, we
both like our shacks. And then we also have a friend with an eskimo...to be kind,he says
its a piece of s$%t and I myself would agree
but thats our opinion
REDRIDER

I'm using an Eskimo Caravan (I think) this year. It's last years model, the "Babe Winkelman" edition. I had a fishtrap II before that for early ice. I also use a Clam 5600 when I want to get comfortable for a day with the wife.
They all have there pro's and cons.
After being a happy Trap user for many years mine was getting pretty tattered and I picked up the Eskimo from someone on this Forum in November. The Trap definitely had better canvas, that fit tighter and didn't flap as much in the wind, was much tighter in the wind overall with less drafts when setup. It was also lighter. But, it was a shallow sled with uncomfortable seats, and was way too short to think about standing up in. It also had to be lifted open to get in and out of.
This Eskimo I've used 6 or 8 times so far and I really like the options:
-comfortable padded bench seat that folds up and out of the way for loading/unloading
-Very deep (and thick/strong construction) sled with molded in tow bar brackets.
-tow bar with quick connect pins. Tows really well behind the ATV
-heavy canvas cover.
-zipper front door.
- At least 5"10" tall when setup. (I can stand bent over to play a fish if needed without flipping the shelter open)

If I'm fishing alone, it's the house I'll use for years.
I made a couple of mods to tighten down the canvas in places in order to make it more windproof, and the canvas isn't as heavy as the Traps or even my Clam. It's also **** heavy and a b*%#* to load in the truck my self.
But with all that said, it works, it's roomy and comfortable, and I can load a TON of stuff in that sled and fly across the lake for miles without worrying about anything flying out grin.gif
I actually spend more time watching the path in front of me now than I do looking behind for gear that's flown out.

I have the otter lodge....love it!!!

But it does get heavy!!! With propane, auger, vex, aqua vu, rods & reels, minnows, cameras, bucks, case of high life.....

hummm maybe my otter isn't too heavy...rather I bring too much s**t

Ohh well it won't matter once I get that new sled wink.gif

I also have the Otter (Lodge). Most of the time I have a 5 and a 7 year old with me and there is plenty of room in there for the 3 of us. This year I made swivel seats to make the outing more comfortable, those 5 gal buckets are hard on those little butts.

I have the eskimo qfII deluxe and it's a great portable for the money! It has all the features of the Fishtrap and the Otters (other than otter sled quaility), plus it is much easier to lug around by hand.

I have used and abused mine in many conditions with out any problems. The design and overall quality will not limit your fishing success. I have outfished people with otters and fishtraps.

The only drawback I've found is the position of the center seat support limits storage of long items under the seats.

So far I'm very happy with the Eskimo.

[This message has been edited by chucker (edited 12-30-2002).]