• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garlic

Big-Al

There are alot of folks to can talk to at county and state fairs, renfest and even farmers markets who can give you great advice as well and strong stock right from their out gardens.

I've been looking at the Garlic Fest site and there's some techniques I can do better next year.

I think I spent $6 on a starter kit from a farmer teaching a class at renfest last year.

I have used leaves and various other mulches. The reason I like to use straw is that I rake it to the side in the spring and after the garlic gets 8 inches or so I reuse it it to mulch it for the summer. I works well for me.

I planted mine last Monday night, the 15th. I planted a few bulbs of that Music Garlic. I didn't think about this until after planting them all, but this year I left the wrappers on each clove. It doesn't sound like it makes much of a difference one way or the other. In the past I always removed the skins.

What do you guys do?

I got mine in the ground on Sunday I planted 15 cloves of 4 different types in a new raised bed I built over the summer.

I planted Georgian Fire and Crystal, Romanian Red and Armenian.

I've cover mine with some leaves while raking and that'll be it.

Hey guys. We have been doing garlic for a few years now and have had great returns on it every single year. Not only that, its simple.

Here are some pics from years past. I am going to try it in a square foot garden this year and see how that works.

After tilling I set up the posts

QldZT.jpg

Tie some twine from end to end

pHyf6.jpg

GQmHj.jpg

jYTtm.jpg

Finished product

suLA8.jpg

I had the mulch off by this time last year but of course that was last year. I have nearly a foot of now over my mulch yet, with a few inches of new to boot. I will wait till the ground starts to warm and then rake the mulch back. After the garlic is about 6 or 8 inches I will replace the mulch. It you don't have it very thick I am sure you could let it grow through but mine is quite thick.

I have not heard of doing it. They form a pretty good root system with the fall planting so I am sure there would be danger of damage. If your soil was very high in organics so you could minimize root disturbance it might be possible. You can do it successfully with onions so maybe garlic would work also. My thought would be you might be just as well off planting from seed versus transplanting.