• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

coleman lantern glass breaking

bturck

Question

Have just replaced my second glass globe on my coleman propane. I take extreme care to not bang it around but that hasn't solved the problem. Even built another box for it as it is awfully hot to tear down when you shut it off and put it into the storage case. Any one have any suggestions, or is there an alternative to the glass? Thanks, Bill

17 answers to this question

have you checked the tightness of the screw on top? I have only broke one in 10yrs. And I am not careful in the least. I do however let it cool down before I go. I put in that crappy plastic case. right now I have it laying out unprotected in a recycling bin w/ all my gear.

So maybe it is the "loseness" of the globe itself while mounted in the lantern.

I have a Northstar, with the metal mesh frame over the glass, but also have an older Coleman two-mantle with the bare glass.

For years (until I got one of the Princeton Aurora Tech lights this year and now leave the lantern behind), I wrapped the lantern in a towel when I came off the ice. I use towels torn in half to plug the seam gaps in my Trap II (where the canvas is slit and hemmed near the hinged aluminum supports), and another towel scrap to wipe the water off my hands after getting bait, landing a fish, etc., which makes it WAY easier to keep your hands warm. Wet hands are cold hands.

Anyway, by the time I'm ready to come off the ice at night, I make sure everything is packed and loaded, then it goes in the truck if I've driven out on the ice, the lantern gets turned off and cooled down in the wind a couple minutes, and I wrap the wet towel around it to cushion it. Never lost a globe that way in several years of doing this. If I'm walking off the ice, I hold the lantern in one hand, pull the trap with the other, and cool and wrap the lantern after hitting the truck.

With the headlamp, however, the lantern sits in my basement unless I'm out eelpouting on the open ice, or sometimes when I'm fishing multiple tip-ups and I like the lantern light to glow off the reflective tape when I get a flag.

Good luck, and remember, $25 to $30 for the headlamp in one-time cost (you can buy them on this site and the AAA batteries last a long time) may get you further ahead than the lantern, unless you also use the lantern to heat your shelter.

I am not ready to leave my double tie single mantle lantern at home just yet BUT, that princtech headlight is AWESOME. A light of 1000 uses, getting bait, running out of the permanent to change gas, checking tipups, no more stumbling in the garage at night, putting some chaw between your lip and gums at night in the vehical so everyone else isn't blinded by the headlight, and on and on and on and on............well worth the purchase!

Make sure the glass in tight and the threads to the top nut are clean (They get corroded). Run a nut down the stem to clean the threads out so you can tighten the globe properly.

Most of the glass globes I have broken were because it was too loose, the shock got the best of it.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

We have had several Coleman lanterns over the past 15 years and have only broken two globes. The only reason one of them broke is because something fell against it hard while we were out fishing. Luckily we had two lanterns with. We always cool the lanterns off while we are tearing down and packing up, and then they go into their plastic carrying cases. We both have the Princeton Aurora headlamp but not sure if we will give up our lanterns all together, but we will definitely use them while packing up. No more trying to hang on to a flash light.

-------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Fishn'Lady

The towel wrapping trick really works! wink.gif Cool the lantern before wrapping in a good sized towel that you take along for keeping your hands dry. It works GREAT!!!

Later... cool.gif Dugan!!!

I think Chemist is on the right track.
Let the little springs do their job.

My brother cracked one because he cranked down to hard on the screw.

If it's in there to tight it wouldn't take much of a jolt to brake it.

Thanks to all of you for your posts. I will definitley check into the Tech light and the towel idea, as well as check the screw on top of the lantern. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year with lots of fishies in your buckets. Bill

I broke a few globes and got tired of tying on the 2 mantles all the time, so I just bought the small Coleman 1-mantle lantern. I like it a lot. It's more compact, seems to give off more heat & the mantles just slip on so there's no tying. The small globe is protected by a wire frame & the glass looks thicker. It looks like I have as much light as I had before. Cost-$20. Vern

Why don't they make a 1/4" thick globe?
Most likely so they keep making money on mantles and globes...right? The lantern is a one time fee...the mantels and globes are expendible. I'm just about ready to go battery for lighting.

Ferny.

I dont want to go battery b/c the lantern is what I use for heat in my small shack.
I so far broke 2 globes in 2 years. 1 was b/c the screw on top was too tight and the other 1 was b/c i was getting up and bumped it and it fell on the floor and broke. So other wise I had really only broken one on accident.
Ya i think ice fishing is just getting expensive.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

At the risk of sounding overly simple (Ah-Da), why not just get a Coleman Lantern case?

Sure they are a bit bulky, especially the older Coleman full size case's, but I never broke a glass when using one, ever.

One globe is about the same price as a case, so there ya go?

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

u really only need one thing, hit buy on the princeton tec headlight. i have 2 battery lanters that dont put out any heat but they did just fine. but these headlights work. why mess around with all of that when you can just put on a really lightweight light. 3 small batteries. lasts 160 hours, how can you go wrong. no more lantern in one hand bucket in the other n have to come back for more stuff cuz you have a lantern in one hand. and puttin up a house or taking it down in the dark this is a ton easier. smile.gif yaup

[This message has been edited by pig_sticka (edited 12-27-2002).]

BW Eddy I have the cheezy red Coleman case for my Powerhouse...very tippy. You have to treat the thing with kid gloves. I have the Red foam/velcro Coleman globe wrap also. I figure with the half dozen globes (at least), case, foam wrap, funnel, neverending mantels the thing has cost me about $200 so far...I have had it since 1986 though smile.gif

Stinka It's nice to warm you hands over them while they are throwing off light.

Ferny

I have the old style light green case that fits the big lanterns. It is a monster of a case but so far if my globe is tight it has held up to some mighty ruff stuff.

I have broke 2 globes in 25-30 years, both because I had the nut too darn loose and the shock cracked them after a good jolt. I managed to break both of them, back to back, (Doe!) before I figured it out..Daaa..Ed.

The spring under the globe was week so I tweaked it up to get more shock absorption then I made sure the top seated well and the nut was tight. I have not broke one since. Live and learn Eh.

That said, I will now likely bust one next trip out just because I said that, right?

wink.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]