• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

storage of smoked meats

I plan on smoking a turkey, some chicken, a bunch of ribs and to save some money I would like to do them all at the same time. Just wondering what some storage options are? Like how long can I just leave them in the fridge or if I have to freeze them what is the best way to do that without a vacuum sealer. Thanks

first of all it would be a good idea to get a vacume sealer if your going to get into saving money. second- invest is good quality freezer paper if you dont want the first option. i have both. as far as smoked items in a refrigerator, smoked items last longer than fresh but i have one rule on this. i'm talking now on larger items like you mentioned. if your not going to eat the item within two weeks i would freeze it. preferably in a vacume sealer. items like turkey's wrap poorly and may have small air pockets open or cracks and over time will cause the meat to freezer burn {freezer paper]. never keep meats in the refrigerator in plastic bags. this will cause rapid spoiling. tupperware products are the best. freezer wrapping meats proplerly[and make sure you date each package and label it] will hold for a year. sometimes longer but it should never happen if you rotate your packages. now i can go on and on with this but the bottom line in what your doing calles for a vacume sealer for best results. the hams you buy in the store are cured and smoked and vacume sealed and can last up to 6 month refrigerated sealed but i would not keep it that long if you smoke your own. i sealed turkey properly smoked and sealed i would keep for a month refrigerated if not opened. personaly mine would not last that long. when i smoke something it is usualy eaten soon after otherwise seal and freeze. vacume sealers are also good for marinating meats and poultry and freezing for a later time or just for overnight for the next days grill time. i dont vacume seal my deer meat. i have a 18in freezer roll and freeze it all in the wrap. any other info you need let me know, i know i rambled on here. i have 35 years experience in the meat buisness. good luck.

Thanks Reinhard, I have often thought about getting a good quality vacuum sealer but when I see how much they want for the bags I just feel like it's a ripoff. Who know's though if it would save some things from getting thrown out they might be worth it.

I'll try to do portions that will be eaten within 7 to 10 days each time so if properly smoked I guess that shouldn't be a problem. I'll maybe put some things that are going to be eaten in a day or two in ziplock bags but will use tupperware containers for anything longer. Thanks again.

again i would not put smoked or fresh items in any plastic bags even ziplock bags in the fridge for that legth of time. vacume seal bags are not included for they hold longer. plastic bags in the fridge create condensation and moisture thus increasing bacteria counts faster. if you portion out your smoked parts then you can properly freezer wrap it. i was talking a whole turkey that is difficult to wrap properly. i realy dont go through that many rolls of vacume plastic. i use it as i need it and for me it has always worked. for example if you plan a camping trip i pre make meals and seal them and freeze them. more time for other things when the meal is basicly done. but if you as you say are going to part out your turkey parts and ribs freezer wrap is fine. a 18 in roll would cost around $30 and would last you a long time. i dont know how much a dispenser would cost you, i think i paid $15 for mine a few years ago. sam's club has the rolls of freezer paper. i read your last post again and you said you would put stuff in a zip bag for 2 days. two days is fine i was talking about up to 7 where its a bad idea. after many years in the meat buisness i'm big on freshness and sanitary conditions. good luck.

Something else to consider is what type of smoking will you be doing? Cold smoking will typically make the meat last longer before spoiling. But it depends on how long you cold smoke it. Hot smoking, well, that's about the same as cooking but with smoke flavor. Far easier and less time involved but not done so much for preserving as it is for flavor.

Why do they put it on the grouse opener? It's nice too have this problem. So many interesting things to do and not enough time. Of course the upside is that maybe more people will stay home and I'll be left alone to wobble about in the woods. Kind of like Elmer Fudd.

this is also my grandkids weekend. they come first. but in between fixing my deer stand i will hunt in the comming weeks. i just thought it would be interesting to watch how these guy do it. i might learn something new. good luck on your hunt. good luck.