• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Open Water Reports n Stuff

Cali - Now that's a quality post! Jay way to go on the Susky and finding another new area on the river, cool.

Hit the lake late last night and fished in my waders with Donny. Had a tough time hooking walleyes on our first wading spot and went a lousy 7 for 9 with a keeper and a throwback. Spot two just one bump and the final spot we decided to get religious smirkgrinand I whacked 8 nice ones before calling it a night at 3 a.m. North Shore was dead for us. Here's a few shots. All eyes released to fight again.

Walleyes were way out, nothing close to shore that I could catch.

The Producers Roscoe Shiner black and silver did most of em in. I have one left and the eyes have scraped it up good over the years, only plug I have that has a flat lip like that. Sometimes a subtle change of action on a plug can be the difference too. wink

pa310001x.jpg

pa310002y.jpg

pa310003.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd I would take the Sure Set off and throw it on but the "Heavy Metal Blue" is starting to catch some fish at one of my favorite walleye spots;) I will be using this color a bit more especially after midnight I have been switching back and forth to that and that lead colored #11 Shallow Shad Rap.

Dark Cloud- Jay what can I say my Browns take a week off and gain a game on everyone in the division, thanks for contributing laughwink

Yes Jay . . rumor has it that I did get a spike for my first bow kill. 10 yd shot, double lung went about 30 yds and down. He is a tender one he is. I'll be selective in the future (maybe). Some lessons learned if I can remember them. One is that my release is a lot more sensitive with a deer in front of me!!! Two . . . you need another set or hands with a bow, unless you have somewhere to let it hang while waiting. Three, the moment you hang your bow on a knob and reach into your bag for something, a deer will show up.

Doug and Frank sorry I missed your text messages. My wife must have seen them that's why I didn't get to go fishing until 10:30 last night and a short trip it was around the lake. Fished my usual areas and the only bit of wind was on the north shore at 4-5 mph. No fish, no bumps, nothing and no one fishing other than myself at each spot. Quite a few guys at the Sea Shell when I passed by. Congratulations to the Giants World Series Champs and ex St. Louis Cardinal Edgar Renterria for sealing the clincher with a decisive 3 run shot.

Frankie - Congrats! They are all "trophys", especially with archery gear. If your old eyes saw the impact of the arrow you'll be able to replay it over and over in your mind. Tanks been hunting alot and seeing does, passing on some smaller bucks. That wont last long, his fishing elbo is acting up. cool

Tank hunted and I hit the river...

Tried something diff today. My last trip to my A+ spot, the water was a tad higher than expected and I found the fish in a diff spot. I checked the charts and todays flow was even a tad higher than last time. This spot looked perfect to try some jigs below floats on my centerpin. And it was! cool A small back eddy that feathers into two currents meeting up. Most fish came along the "edge" in 5 ft of water. Rigged with a 11 gram float, a few splitshots, then a 1/8th oz jig with a 3in gulp minnow. I could have done just as well pitching jigs with the spinnin rod but it was fun breaking out the 13ft float rod and centerpin. Caught 10, 5 keepers up to 20 inches...

full-1130-2919-002.jpg

Semi-sad pictures as I was all alone. Tank has been seeing lots of doe, but the bucks are not showing themselfs...

full-1130-2920-003.jpg

Nice fish DC, that has to be fun with waldo's cool. It has been a horrible fall up here the worst I have seen it ever.I have made quite a few trips to the lake not as many as Timmy and have had only a couple of decent nights.I was thinking about taking the boat out today to burn up the rest of the fuel in the tank maybe there will be hungry fish out there some where confused.

Jay, I fished the east end from carbones to lewis deep and shallow followed the shorelines the only place I caught fish was by callihans, that whole bay is loaded with perch not many keepers.That bay is also loaded with emeralds,shad and perch fry.The boat is pretty much put up for the season unless someone calls me from their boat thats pounding them it was f-ing cold out there today.I think I will be doing some jig making and tying in my spare time its warmer in my garage wink.

Nice fish everyone. DC Walldogs on a float with a centerpin - why not? Looks like it was pretty effective. That custom flyrod looks pretty effective too, real nice job on the rod building.

Thunder, how you been? You made me feel a lot better with your last post. Managed to get out for one of the few times this year on last Weds. We did what you did but in reverse order. Started out in front in front of the canal and drifted (uck, east wind) out towards deeper water. Nary a bite except for the hefty smallmouth that hit my minnow rig. Headed south and tried in front of the white wall, state park and oneida creek without even a bump. Fished minnow rigs and sonars. Got into a lot of perch out in front of Callahans Marina but only one keeper. The huge number of small perch bodes well for the future, but for old guys like me the future is now! Finally, out of desperation, tried the north shore in front of Carbones and a ways north. Not even a white perch. Pretty discouraging day. Now I realize that we are not the only ones that get wacked on the Big O.

Hope to see you guys at the show next month.

I fished again this evening. Did well but the fish were off. Yesterday I had 10 hits and laned 10, today I probably had 12-14 hits and landed 7. They just were not ramming it hard. I had to play around with alot of diff baits, no one thing produced well

The one real good hit I had came on a small lipless crankbait. eek

full-1130-2941-201.jpg

Pman - I tried some new casts today with the pin and ended up with a rats nest that would have made Timmy proud. Thankfully I had the spinning rod along with me. That rod beats on walleyes quick! Its a 13ft spey blank I built up for centerpinning steelies. cool

Nice pics guys.

Been drawin a big blank in the deer stand since my encounter with the monster a couple weeks back. As I reluctantly sat in my stand last Saturday mornin rght around 8 am I heard the boomin call of the goose guns from across the hill. That ended my bow hunting for the year. Took a ride around on the way home and located some birds for Sunday am. Got home and swapped all the bowhunting gear for geese huntin parifinalia in my truck. Ive spent nearly 30 hours in the stand and had a couple awsome encounters. I love time in the stand but ITS TIME TO KILL SOME BUZZARDS grin . Got set up by 6:30 Sunday am and waited. First couple flocks came in around 7:45 but wouldnt totally commit. Small change to the 60 bird spread and the game was on.

By 8:30 the 3 of us had our limit (9 birds). Other than 1 Texas shot (straight up about 40yds) all birds were dumped within in 15 yds of our blinds. Nothin better than whackin geese in self defense... whistle... Nearly 20lbs of goose breast in the freezer from the last couple weeks, just waitin to meet the grinder and be teamed up with cracked black pepper and garlic jerky seasonings... MMM cant wait..

Couple more goose huntin days and it will be time head back to the stand and let the 1100 work its magic.

Nice job Cali as far as im concerned there is no limit on those noisy b.a.s.t.a.r.d.s winkwhistle.Next time you are passing through and you have time stop in.I almost had vennison on my chevy grill not an 1/8th of a mile from my house this morning 8point to be exact trying to commit suicide.

Will do Todd. seems everytime im drivin by your just hooking the boat up or allready gone. Ive had a couple close calls within a 1/2 mile of your house in either direction. My cell phone aint workin now so if you or anyone else wants to call 315-875-5426 is the house number...

Weekend report...

We both hunted all day yesterday and no buck were sighted. Both had ample chances at does but there should be chances at them later. cool

Not sure how it is so tireing but sitting/standing on a 2X3 platform from a half our before sun-up till dark wore us out. The winds yesterday were brutal! Most of the deer movement was early. The full moon probably played into that as well...

Today we hit the stands with plans on hunting till noon. Shortly after 7am Tank had 3 doe come by him with a decent 8pt following. A perfectly placed shot put em down right there...

Sorry for the bad pict. Everyone was asleep and I hunted longer, so Tank had him skinned by the time I got back...

If life gives you soccer balls, you play soccer...

full-1130-3608-100_0827.jpg

Been awhile since I've posted havent done much fishing this summer/fall as work has been busier than ever Did manage to go on a few trips Cod, Bluefish, Seabass/Porgies and Walleye were the only 4 trips that we made it out to this fall.

A few pics for your enjoyment.

mmmm pollack

DSC08919.jpg

nice eaters

DSC08935.jpg

nice eaters

DSC08941.jpg

11.5 lbs

DSC08953.jpg

6.5lber

DSC08952.jpg