• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Things that make you mad as the cook-

Burchoid, I agree with boiling the brats. I put them in a 8x12 deep tin pan 3 beers 2 tbl. butter and an onion I put it right on the grill this way. Hence the name Brat Tub. I better go check them right now just so happens I'm making Brats right now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Ketchup with steak.

1a) Cooking prime rib to a perfect medium rare, having a couple people ask to have theirs cooked 'well done', and then talking about how it isn't very tender....

Absolutely, I agree!! "This isn't done...it's almost red in the center"....You didn't cook it long enough". "Boy, it's sure chewy now"...

I suggest you pour the ketchup on the meat, ask them "Does this smell funny?", and when they put their head down to smell it....push it in the meat. "My, you have ketchup ALL OVER your face!"

Bugs me when company hardly eats any food. I find it as a slight insult when very little is eaten...I then ask if there was anything wrong with the food. Also, I don't like a messy kitchen with pots, pans, plates, bowls, seasonings all over the counter and sink when cooking. When my ex cooked and you would swear a tornado went thru, then ask for help to clean it all up. Also, everything was cooked on highest heat and splatter going everywhere and smoke coming from pan. Thus I was relegated to do the cooking.

I also like to and hear critique on my concoctions good/bad. I'll be the first to admit if something turned out bad or needed more flavor.

one suggestion as far as kitchen clean up. pots and pans there is little you can do but i use the grill as much as i can including winter and when there are groups over i use the larger durable paper plates to serve the people and plastic forks and spoons [real knives for meat]. makes a huge difference in clean-up. good luck.

The biggest thing that gets to me is the question "what can I help you with?" You are just asking to be nice, but for the most part you have NO idea what I'm doing or what kind of meat I'm cooking nor how to do it... So just go to the fridge, get me a beer and lets visit while I cook (which I love to do), instead of bugging me on finding you a chore to do while I COOK!!

Oh yeah, and not being ready to eat when the food is ready bothers me too.

The list is pretty good. I'm not a chef, but I like to cook a lot at home.

First, what drives me nuts, even when I'm not cooking, is people that won't try something new. The worst that happens is you spit it out and move on. I HAD a girlfriend that was unbelievably picky. It was actually a big part of me moving on. I also know someone who claims to have never had ketchup, mustard, mayo or salad dressing because it doesn't look good. Can never win going out to eat with this person because everything has to be special order. Somehow, my parents raised three kids that eat anything. I consider myself a bizarre foods guy and have eaten very unusual food in several countries and quite a bit in Minnesota. I've met some great people that have brought terrific ethnic cooking to this state.

Second, I can't stand ketchup on steak. The OLD girlfriend put it on steak at a restaurant ONCE. I told her we were never going out for steak again if she insisted on Ketchup. I don't know how anyone ruins a fine cut of meat with ketchup or even steak sauce. I only use steak sauce on poorly prepared meat, and its got to be really bad.

Third, don't invite me to Thanksgiving dinner if there is gravy in a jar and Stovetop stuffing. Why buy a jar of gravy when you have all those beautiful turkey drippings?

How about all those cooks who think everything should be eaten only the way the cook eats it.

In other words,ask the cook to make it your way.....even if it means using ketchup.

I would never force a guest to eat a steak the way I like it...... rare if they want it well done with ketchup on it.

How about all those cooks who think everything should be eaten only the way the cook eats it.

In other words,ask the cook to make it your way.....even if it means using ketchup.

I would never force a guest to eat a steak the way I like it...... rare if they want it well done with ketchup on it.

Generally if I'm cooking, it also means that I bought whatever it is that I am cooking. I actually do consider it disrespectful to ruin a $10-15 piece of meat because of some psychological hang up someone has regarding a properly cooked steak. Some people actually do like well-done meat, and won't complain when it turns into a hockey puck. For the others, save me $10/pound and ask for some ground 80/20.

Ken W., I hear what you're saying and was wondering how long it'd be until someone got annoyed with some of this [PoorWordUsage]. Dudes, if you don't like ketchup on your steak, then don't put it on YOUR steaks. I happen to like eating corn straight out of a can, so what? I'm not going to be offended if I have you over for dinner and you ask to have it heated.

I'm willing to at least try most foods, but I get pretty irked when a host can't accept the fact that I know I don't like something. I happen to hate raw onions. So, if you're trying to feed me something that involves a ton of raw onions and I decline....drop it. Really. I'll eat the other stuff if you don't make a huge deal out of the fact that I don't like something you wanted to feed me. Unfortunately for me (and I think beyond my control), even though I like lots of crazy stuff that most people won't even look at, I happen to hate a few things that are staples of the midwestern diet, which means I sometimes end up invited to meals where I dislike multiple dishes and end up looking like a picky eater...something that isn't actually true. I'd actually eat most things off of "Bizarre Foods" before I'd ever take a bite of a hamburger or something with mayo on it.

Another cooking peeve of mine is people who don't make a reasonable effort to cover cold, sticky foods outside when flies are abundant. Sorry, I'm not flushing a flock of houseflies off of a glazed donut or potato salad before taking a bite.

It's disrespectful if someone doesn't like food the way you do?????Maybe in their view you are the one being disrespectful for not recognizing the differences in people.

As I said above.....no way would I ever tell someone....I paid $15 for this piece of meat so you will eat it the way I tell you to.

And I don't like ketchup on steaks.And I agree with you in that they might as well be eating a hamburger.But I still make it the way everyone wants THEIRS made.

mixxedbagg....I agree.....I have a pretty variable palate but there are certain things I will not eat.....anytime someone mixes salad dressing with hardboiled eggs,I'm leaving the room.

It's disrespectful if someone doesn't like food the way you do?????Maybe in their view you are the one being disrespectful for not recognizing the differences in people.

As I said above.....no way would I ever tell someone....I paid $15 for this piece of meat so you will eat it the way I tell you to.

And I don't like ketchup on steaks.And I agree with you in that they might as well be eating a hamburger.But I still make it the way everyone wants THEIRS made.

mixxedbagg....I agree.....I have a pretty variable palate but there are certain things I will not eat.....anytime someone mixes salad dressing with hardboiled eggs,I'm leaving the room.

Do you honestly believe that is the way the conversation would go?

as far as serving people what they like-normaly i know the eating habits of people that come over and cook a variety and have no problem. when there is someone new i always ask if i'm doing a steak how they would like it but as far as anything else they'r on their own and take whats available to their liking. if someone wants to put ketchup on anything i dont care and i have salt and pepper available also along with hot sauce. yea keep food covered and seperate food utensils for serving yourself is a must. i also have styrofoam containers for doggie bags should someone want some. always have leftovers. good luck.

ken i dont see anything in your post i disagree with. you said you would prepare a steak anyway your guest wants it. maby some of the guys miss-interpeted your post. my post is only to say the way i handle my meals. no need for a my bad here. good luck.

I acutally think SIMMERING brauts not boiling them is the way to go in beer and onions. It keeps them moist and you just give them some color on the grill for a few minutes max. This is especially good for venison brauts that can dry out quickly.

What makes me mad as the cook, having to set the table. Lol. It usually doesn't happen though because I make a big stink on the rare occassion it does. What irritates me about others cooking - those who think you shouldn't add anything to meat when you're cooking it. I love the "why eat venison unless you boil it like a bootstrap with no seasoning, you might as well just eat beef?" Um, because it tastes better. I can't stand it when people grill or cook the heck out of meat with no seasoning or mariande, etc., and then offer a ton of various sauces so you can flavor it yourself. Like trying to flavor a shoe. : )

I forgot to add, I saw an episode of Uncle Ted's show once where he said what really teed him off is someone not finishing wild game that's on their plate. His theory was, I worked my butt of to get that duck or doe, so enjoy it but if you're not going to eat all of it, don't take it, or at least only take what you'll eat. I would have to agree to some extent. The other thing he mentioned that really irritated him was guys who didn't know how to open a can of soup much less cook. The theory being that you should be able to make yourself a basic, healthy meal and many business guys he'd met couldn't do so.

I gotta disagree with Ken W, if I'm cooking you are getting the food cooked to my taste. Steaks are kind of a different story, but I will never serve a t-bone well done. If you dont want it then eat some salad and its steak and eggs in the morning for me.

I gotta disagree with Ken W, if I'm cooking you are getting the food cooked to my taste. Steaks are kind of a different story, but I will never serve a t-bone well done. If you dont want it then eat some salad and its steak and eggs in the morning for me.

Better yet I won't eat where you are cooking.Then you won't get steak for breakfast.My wife wouldn't last long either since she like steaks well done as do quite a few of my family members.

I don't impose my likes and dislikes on other people.It would only take 1 meal at someone's place to find that out.In fact my wife would probably get up and walk out if you told her it was rare/medium or just to eat a salad.

I guess I have always been brought up that everyone is different.So why get someone PO'd by telling them ...eat it my way or the highway.

If you're going to be upset because someone won't eat a steak/venison back-strap/burger the way YOU think is correct, then you shouldn't be cooking that for others, plain and simple. Cook something more generic, a turkey or roast, and save the expensive cuts for you and your wife. The same if they slather on too much ketchup/barbecue sauce/salt and pepper or whatever, its going in their stomach, not yours. Eating a meal together is an occasion to get together and visit with friends and relatives, you shouldn't get so uptight.