Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swill

GPS shorthand ideas???? (For Magellan but Garmin users can help out too!!!)

2 posts in this topic

With all the potential coordinates like...deer stands.....deer scrapes...rock piles...crappie holes.... reefs...sunken islands....and lake and lake...How does everyone title there GPS spots?

I have a new Magellan Sport Track and I love it. When you want to mark a location it pops up a promt which gives you Lak006 (6 characters)If you wanted to make you second spot it would pull up the default lak007

Now there is a good description area for the gps location but what system do other use for their short description? I have tried using the lake name but when you get to lakes with a longer name then Cass it can be tricky...

Garmin users what do you do?

I am worried that if I don't come up with something years down the road I will have a big mess.

Just trying to keep things in order and looking for some suggestions...Thanks all-Swill

You can download a waypoint management program, for free, search for EasyGPS and download it to your computer, then if you have a PC cable, you can store waypoints and have a longer description for each waypoint. I save waypoints for different lakes in separate files, with lakenames, I also like to save a word doc with longer notes about particular waypoints. Other mapping software will allow you to manage and download waypoints as well.

Easy GPS is just that, EASY, and is alot easier than entering waypoints manually, When I am returning to a lake that I have stored waypoints, I re-upload them to my GPS.

As far as waypoint naming conventions, you will have to work out a system that works well for you, I like to use letters for the first words in the description, and use different symbols as well, to differentiate hotspots, reefs, rocks, mud, etc. It helps to have a small notebook and make notes as you are saving important waypoints that you would like to remember in the future.

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 12-23-2002).]