• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frabill ultralite or Fish Trap Scout?

Question

Which one would you guys choose? I will be pulling by hand. I have seen the scout and I like it but, The ultra lite looks like a good unit. anyone have experience with either of these units? I would like to purchase one or the other. Let me know thanks.

8 answers to this question

I'd suggest skipping the Scout and go with the Pro. A liitle extra room goes a long way. I also prefer the USL products over the Frabills. I've owned both. and the USL have the little extras (pockets, holders, better seats, vents, etc.)

I bought a Fishtrap Pro from Reeds at the ice show this yr. I've had good experience with USL products. I had a Clam before the trap. I was going to buy a pro or a scout, and I'm glad I got the pro. The extra room and features are worth the extra price. I pull mine by hand fully loaded with pwr auger, vex, etc., it pulls fine.

I bought the Frabill ultra lite couple years ago. I have had a one problem with it though, the tarp wont touch the ground it front when i flip it over. At the time i think i would have been better off with the trap scout. The only other thing I didn't like was that the ranger doesn't have a seat. I have seen the new ones(rangers)and I think they are a huge improvement over the one I got. With all this said if I had to do it over right now I'm sure I would get the trap pro, with all of the features that they have the frabill really doesn't compete.

Depends on your use.

I, too, have the Frabill UltraLight. I bought it to pull with the ATV for 'search' purposes. Once I find the good spot, I use the Speed Shak. The UltraLight works very well for this purpose, as it was a bit less expensive than the other models.

If you are going to use this as your one and only shelter, go for a little more...the Fish Trap, the Frabill Solo or even the XLTwin, or Glacier makes a pretty good unit, too. The Ultra Light is a pretty small sled, too, so that would be a consideration.

Bob,

My friend has the ultralight - I think it's too small. I like the Frabill shanties, I have the Ranger Solo and the XLTwin. To me, it always seemed that the fabric on the Frabills was of better quality than the traps. It looks like the traps have a new cover this year, so I might change my mind. But, don't think I'll need a new shanty anytime soon.

Mike

If $$ factors into your decision, take a look on hsolist.You can get a Scout for $110, new in the box. A company out of Cambridge is selling a lot of them the last week or so for that price. I bought one Tuesday night and had it delivered Thursday morning.

Thanks notorious, money really isn't an issue for me but, for that price I think I will get the scout and if I don't like it my 8yr old son will.
Thanks guys I will check out the pro model also.