• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer and his home run

DTro

Mauer said of the home run: "It feels great. Sorry it took so long."

-Sorry it took so long

Who said that there cannot still be sports heroes? Signing Mauer is the best thing the twins have done in a long time.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only people who don't understand baseball criticized Mauer's lack of HRs. His slugging % this year is actually 11 points ABOVE his career average, and he leads the league in 2B. It's nice that he 'apologized' that it took so long, but he sure as heck didn't have anything to apologize for!

On a whole 'nother note, his stats this year are a perfect example of why it is so hard to compare baseball stats between players from different eras. It's amazing the difference a ballpark can make! I hope to heaven we never find out, but can you imagine the numbers Mauer would put up if he played half his games at Fenway? He'd be a mortal lock to hit .400.

I'll definitely second your thought that signing Mauer was the best decision the Twins have made in a loooong time.

how can anyone not love having this guy on the team? classy and humble all the way around and hitting the ball great. the new stadium wasn't built with his hitting style in mind as far as home runs go but if he wants to keep hitting singles and doubles at this pace, keep it coming.

Lets not forget that he just paid for the bus and gas to get the Plymouth/New Hope team down to the Little League World Series as well. Class guy

That's awesome right there. That's up there with Bernard Berrian renting a semi and filling it full of food for the homeless shelters his first Thanksgiving in Minnesota. CLASS

Lets not forget that he just paid for the bus and gas to get the Plymouth/New Hope team down to the Little League World Series as well. Class guy

I bet every professional athlete does stuff like this all the time. You just hear about it more because he is from Minnesota. These other guys are mostly doing their good deeds in their own home state or city.

Wow, he said sorry. Give me a break.

Michael Vick said he was sorry, does that make him humble?

Comparing Vick and Mauer in this situation is asinine. I think, and will until the day I die the only thing Vick was sorry about was getting caught, and if he weren't caught, he would still be doing it.

Not hitting a HR and apologizing tongue in cheek doesn't even compare to a convicted felon apologizing.

Wow, yeah that comparison is really out there. You are comparing someone who said he was sorry that he has only hit one home run at the home ballpark, to someone who killed dogs for fun.

And so what if every other professional player does something good for his/her community. That was not the point of the post. It just goes to show that he is a class act and is using that money for great things for OUR state.

Nah, it's just the nature of an online forum. White/Black tomato/tomahto

It's just about good old fashioned respect, and between Vick and Mauer, I wonder which one has earned more by his actions?

Mauer is a good example of showing kids that good guys don't always finish last.

I bet every professional athlete does stuff like this all the time. You just hear about it more because he is from Minnesota. These other guys are mostly doing their good deeds in their own home state or city.

Wow Dave. I hope that was sarcasm. That post is flat out bizarre. You're not really looking for examples of selfish/drug abusing/egomaniac professional athletes are you?

I've seen nothing to show me that Joe Mauer is any of those. And that's the point.

I have never said anything to the affect that Joe Mauer is not a super duper, nice, stand-up guy. he may very well be the nicest guy in the world and possibly the best pure hitter in Baseball history.

But the fact is, everyone has an obligation to be nice to others and he is being paid plenty well to be a good baseball player.

No need to gush all over him like a love-sick bull looking at a cow!

Man-Love is just so embarrasing!

One could look at it and say that Mauer is more concerned about his image to the fans than how he plays, but I just don't see it. Classy guy every day of the week.

I think that the team is getting some of their $184 million back in terms of goodwill. Think of all the little old ladies that just wrote the Twins into their wills, gushing over Joe!